Food Safety Manager
- South San Francisco, CA 94080
$50,000 - $60,000 a
Food Safety Manager Job Description
The Food Safety Manager is
responsible for monitoring and enforcing the company’s food safety and
quality policies and procedures as they are implemented in the facility. The
food safety manager is also responsible for validating the quality of the
manufacturing processes and verifying that operations meet expected quality
standards and specifications.
Responsibilities include food safety
management for multiple locations, therefore,
reliable means of transportation for travel between locations is required.
We operate 24/7 and shift
flexibility is required. Must be available to work nights and weekends as
- Develops, implements, and
manages food safety and quality programs, policies, and procedures,
including, but not limited to: allergen control, recall, traceability,
organic, and environmental monitoring, to ensure that regulatory,
internal and 3rd party requirements are met.
- Ensure that food safety
programs, quality control measures, and organizational structure is practical and functional always.
- Ensure that finished products
meet company, customer, and regulatory food safety & quality
- Ensure compliance with and
attends audits by regulatory and 3rd party agencies, including but not
limited to: FDA, State of California, and Organic.
- Report issues and resolutions
to the management team on a regular basis.
- Organize and update all food
safety documents and ensure that all data reflect current state of
- Collaborate with departments to
assess risks, analyze data, and make informed decisions on products and
- Ability to study and execute
documents (Standard Operating Procedures and Test Methods).
- Monitor trends from accumulated
reports and identify areas of concentration.
- Communicate with and ensure
adequate training of appropriate personnel in food safety and quality
programs, policies, and procedures.
- Understand all safety
requirements and translate them to operational staff as needed.
- Ensure that all required
environmental monitoring procedures are implemented and maintained.
- Ensure that only approved
suppliers and contractors, including, but not limited to laboratory and
landscaping contractors, are allowed to supply items to, or carry out
operations for the company.
- Manage customer complaints by
verifying that complaints are documented adequately, prepare trend
reports, initiate corrective actions, and conduct appropriate dialogue
with customers where required.
- Carry out daily, weekly, and
monthly audits on production, sanitation and purchasing documents, to
ensure compliance by all parties involved.
- Liaise with vendors to report
and resolve issues with raw materials.
- Identify and investigate
in-house quality issues, manage QA Hold Program, and establish
dispositions in a timely manner
- Train, supervise and motivate
all sanitation and production personnel to yield maximum results.
- Contribute to and work
alongside various cross-functional teams.
- Build and maintain working
relationships with co-workers and external parties; negotiate and handle
work problems without alienating people; understand others, demonstrate
ability to obtain their cooperation in non-authority relationships.
- Must be alert for all Food
Safety issues including GMP violations and personnel safety concerns and
report them for correction.
- Issue corrective actions
whenever a deviation occurs and monitor them to ensure compliance and
- Place on hold and report any
ingredient, packaging material, or finished product of questionable
quality or found to not meet specifications.
- Aid and be the backup for the
Vice President on handling customer complaints, responding to potential
customers requests, accompany regulatory agencies, initiate recalls and
to follow up on any Food Safety Issues that need immediate assistance.
- Keep inventory and purchase
Food Safety related tools and supplies.
- Work with the production team
at each location to support quality control
- Perform Mock Recalls twice a
Qualifications / Education
- Bachelor of Science Degree,
with an emphasis in Food Science, Food Safety, Microbiology, or food
- HACCP certificate is a plus
- Related experience in the food
- Proficiency in computer
programs and software required.
- Proficiency in supervising and
- Proven leadership and business
- Proven ability to handle
multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Commitment to excellence and
- Excellent written and oral
- Strong organizational,
problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities
- Versatility, flexibility, and a
willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with
- Ability to work independently
and as a member of various teams and effectively work with a diverse
group of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make good, timely
and sound judgements and decisions.
Proficiency in English and Spanish
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $60,000.00
- Safety: 1 year (Preferred)