Food Scientist -
Meridian, ID 83642
JOIN IN OUR PASSION!
The Flagship journey began in 2005
when a group of entrepreneurs acquired a small retail food business, Oh! Boy®
Foods, in Los Angeles, California. Through years of hard work, determination,
and collaboration with great partners, Flagship has grown into a global,
diversified food business serving virtually every major U.S. retailer and
consistently growing its base of innovative, good-for-you, and bold food
OVER $100 MILLION IN BRANDED SALES
Today, Flagship’s 505 Southwestern®
brand is one of the country’s fastest-growing Southwestern food brands, with
authentic sauces and salsas made with Hatch Valley, NM green chiles. Flagship’s Lilly B’s™ brand provides 100% organic
food products that families actually enjoy eating. Its TJ Farms® line of
products is a wide-ranging collection of frozen and shelf stable products
sold in over 30,000 retail outlets. Flagship’s Steak ‘n Shake® brand of
appetizers and sauces is sold across the country.
VALUED PRIVATE LABEL PARTNER
Flagship has always had a focus on
innovation, and that shines through in its relationships with major retailers
that seek R&D-focused supply partners. Flagship has developed dozens of
on-trend, highly successful private label offerings for the most coveted and
successful private label lines in the country.
Food Scientist Position
Position Location: Boise/Meridian Idaho
Under direct supervision,
researches, conducts experiments, gathers data, develops preliminary findings
and prepares written reports for the development of new products beginning at
conception through successful commercialization. Follows established
protocols and work plans and drafts for review technical proposals and
reports. Manages projects from inception to completion
- Hands-on development of new
products beginning at the concept phase through successful
- Conduct plant trials and new
- Plan, prioritize and complete
tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Maintain accurate and complete
records and project management checklists
- Work with plant equipment under
- Learn and utilize on-line
- Execute experiments and prepare
results for review.
- Manages individual tasks and
works under supervision.
- Maintains a clean, organized
and safe work area, including the cleaning of equipment, utensils and
- New Product Development
Projects - managing documentation and new food product demonstrations
across multiple categories. Receive, log, and store food product sample
submissions. Create and distribute reports to functional team.
- Manufacturing Specifications -
Communicate with material suppliers to obtain specifications.
Collaborate with Purchasing to manage flow of information. Draft new
manufacturing specifications, finished product specifications, including
NLEA and ingredient statements, labeling, packaging.
- Perform all other duties as
- BS in Food Science or related
- Pro-active self-starter,
willing to accept responsibility for business tasks.
- Ability to handle multiple
- Clear, concise written and
- Proficient with Microsoft
- Problem solving skills.
- Requires knowledge in food
product design, formulation, ingredient functionality and interaction,
process design, product scale-up, plant testing and commercialization.
- Thorough understanding of food
Safety and microbiology.
- Thorough understanding of
ingredient functionality and product formulations.
- Working knowledge of packaging
technology to evaluate adequacy of packaging.
- Working knowledge of food
- Working knowledge of sensory
- Excellent time management
skills, sense of urgency and desire to complete all assignments on a
- Work in and around
- Occasional lifting up to 50
- Climbing to various heights via
stairs or ladders
- Exposure to manufacturing
environments for periodic extended work days to include: loud noise,
excessive heat, cold, wet, and slippery conditions.
- Use of tools, equipment, and
- Driving a company or rental
- May travel up to 15-20% of
- Exposure to food tasting and
smells including all food allergens
Job Type: Full-time