Food Science Technologist
- Torrance, CA
Bakery West, Inc.
This position will also carry out any
projects and/or research related to the baking science of our existing
products and/or new product development. This includes raw material sourcing
and approval, hands on creation and development of prototypes, including
small batch testing in identifying formulations, sensory evaluation, product
specifications, and documentation. This role will work closely with other
business functions including Production, Engineering, Quality Assurance,
Supply Chain, Customer Service, Sales, and Marketing.
- Executes the technical aspects of
assigned new product projects that include label changes, formula
changes, sourcing changes, and innovation.
- Work closely with culinary chefs,
consultants and agencies in taking recipes from concept to
- Qualify new raw materials based
on functionality, food safety and quality standards.
- Conduct shelf life studies and
analytical testing on prototypes, raw materials and finished products,
including sensory evaluation and data analysis.
- Develop in-process and finished
- Conduct market research on
ingredient functionality and cost savings.
- Works closely with our ingredient
and packaging suppliers on the technical characteristics of our
- Apply Food Science knowledge for
new product/concept exploration for evaluation, utilizing both current
and future equipment.
- Conducts small batch (benchtop)
experiments and produce sample products for evaluation.
- Participates in sensory training
and evaluation to help ensure the highest quality of our products.
- Provides assistance to Operations when transferring
products or processes through the scaled-up
- Run all pilot batches as
necessary for project requirements.
- Oversees the participation in
planning and scheduling of experiments and verifies data collection and
- Support and educate production on
new product plant introduction/start-ups while maintaining product
quality within specification.
- Supports Production in process
troubleshooting when product quality issues arise, discuss events and
train across all manufacturing teams within the organization, and
catalogs troubleshooting events for updating training curriculum and/or
- Serves as a critical thinker to
the Production and Quality Control to troubleshoot product quality
issues and set preventative measures to keep issues from reoccurring.
- Supervised advice on processing
and packaging improvements.
- Executes Continuous Improvement
Projects that include any new equipment that will affect the quality and
performance of the product.
- Makes recommendations for
projects and experimental plans to support continuous improvements in
our dough systems and finished goods product quality.
- Developing standards of quality
checks and evaluations using scientific testing methods.
- Develops, executes, and documents
experiments designed to prove hypothesis of our products and equipment.
- Serves as a subject matter expert
for all product related formulations, process, and product applications.
- Provides training, insight, and
feedback to plant operations for product formula or quality issues.
- Representing R&D in key cross-functional
meetings and collaborating with Marketing and Operations to support
Operations for ingredient
qualifications, commercialization and manufacturing; Quality on risk
assessments, raw material testing, and root cause analysis
- Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year
accredited college or university in Food Science or related field
- Master’s Degree in Food Science
is a plus
- Must have 2-5 years in equivalent
- Food and Beverage Manufacturing
- Hands on prototype development.
- Skills / Specialty – New Product
Development, Project Management
- Knowledge of physical properties
and chemical composition of food and ingredients.
- Knowledge of extensive areas of
food science and technology, marketed food product types and
- Fundamental understanding of
applied statistical analysis.
- Ability to follow and enforce
company policies and processes.
- Ability to develop positive and
collaborative relationships throughout the organization.
- Ability to think critically and
apply learning to creating solutions.
- Can conform to shifting priorities,
demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving
Note: This Position Description indicates
the critical features of the role as they are presently envisioned. They are
subject to change at any time due to business conditions or other reasons.
The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.