Responsible for the overall performance of the Quality
Assurance operations while focusing on Cost, Safety and
Employee Environment. Provide leadership, direction, and
guidance to Quality, Laboratory and plant personnel as
well as the supervisory team. Develop supervisory team
skills and abilities to support the plant.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and ensure
implementation of food safety and
monitoring programs to meet corporate and regulatory
- Oversee and monitor all quality
programs (i.e. FSMA,
HACCP, SQF, GMP, Positive Release, Pest Control,
sanitation, in-line sampling, etc.)
- Review and maintain all quality
results. Evaluate analytical testing results and
disposition of finished product to ensure customer
specifications are met.
- Oversee Quality Assurance
systems in order to
satisfy internal and customer requirements to
include process evaluation and product protection
programs; process specifications and standards;
sanitation programs, HACCP and GMP programs;
production labeling; and product storage and
- Oversee and make decisions
related to cheese
production and cheese packaging as it pertains to
quality related issues.
- Oversee quality control systems
to include hold
programs and traceability exercises; lab procedures;
food safety programs; product functionality
evaluations; process verification programs; internal
and external audits, and environmental
microbiological monitoring programs.
- Investigate, track and respond
complaints and returns.
- Provide technical support to
service groups and sales, regarding process/product
improvement through analysis of product composition,
quality and function ability.
- Act as plant SQF Practioner as well as being PCQI
- Develop and monitor standard
(SOPís) as they pertain to the QA function and
- Update weekly reports on
environmental results and incident activities.
- Conduct at a minimum annually,
related to quality and food safety
expectations/programs of the quality management
system (i.e. FSMA, GMP, SQF, HACCP, Allergen,
potential CCP, etc).
- Conduct Plant Audits as
scheduled and insure follow
up to identified issues.
- Ensure certification of the lab
proper documentation for all internal and government
requirements (i.e. antibiotic records, equipment
temperatures, water and air, proper sterilization
- Act as liaison for regulatory
(i.e. USDA, FDA, etc.)
- Prepares plant for and leads
efforts in 3rd party
- Administer company policies and
procedures, with the
assistance of Human Resources.
- Coach and counsel employees
when appropriate in
accordance with Saputoís policies and work rules.
- Assume an active role in the
plant Safety Programs
to include involvement in the plant safety
- Communicate and interact
effectively lab personnel,
all departments, sister plants and all levels of
management to ensure the smooth operation of the
- Interact with Corporate Quality
implementation and maintenance of Quality Systems
- Perform miscellaneous duties
and responsibilities as
Will oversee entire Production department; including,
but not limited to training employees, planning,
assigning, and directing work.
FOOD SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position has primary responsibility for food safety
including, but not limited to enforcing and practicing
GMPís and appropriate food defense techniques.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors Degree in Dairy Science, Food
Microbiology or a related field, or the equivalent
- Minimum 5 years Quality
Assurance experience and/or
3-5 years of dairy manufacturing QA supervisory
- Working knowledge of the proper
use of sophisticated
equipment and test procedures.
- SQF Practioner
Certification, or ability to possess.
- Ability to define problems,
collect data, establish
facts, draw valid conclusions and provide solutions.
- Ability to interpret a variety
information in mathematical and/or narrative form
and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Able to travel independently to
visit customers and
assist as needed.
- Ability to work in a team
environment as well as
independently with good time management and
- Possess strong collaboration,
leadership skills, as well as demonstrated ability
to exercise judgment and discretion in establishing
and maintaining good working relationships with all
levels of employees as well as internal and external
- Ability to motivate a large
interpersonal and team building skills.
- Strong communication skills and
skills. Strong analytical and organizational skills
with attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office,
- Must be self-motivated, results
high degree of initiative, and work well under
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out
instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Being able to resolve issues/problems that involve
numerous variables in demanding situations.
The physical demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel,
and squat for several
minutes at a time
- Must be able to stand on feet
for at least a two
hour consecutive time period
- Must be able to lift up to
eighty (80) pounds
- Must be able to enter into
- Ability to reach with hands and
arms, and talk and
- Employee is required to stand,
walk, and use hands
to finger, handle or feel
- Specific vision abilities
required by this job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perceptions and ability to
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of
this job, the
employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts
- Environment is occasionally
damp and cold. Caustic,
acid, and chlorine chemicals will be used and may
emit fumes into the air
- Floors may be wet and slippery
- Room temperatures will range
from 35 degrees F. to
an excess of 130 degrees F
- The use of safety glasses, ear
plugs, dust masks,
rubber gloves, rubber boots and aprons are all
necessary in this area