Director, Food Safety and Quality - North Jackson, OH 44451
Mom's Meals, a PurFoods Company
Mom’s Meals, is a home-delivered meal service providing fully prepared, refrigerated meal solutions direct to homes nationwide for over 18 years. We provide seniors, patients recovering post-discharge and those managing a chronic condition with tailored nutrition solutions to manage their specific needs. If you are passionate about the well-being of others and have a strong sense of community, Mom's Meals could be the place for you! We are a family operated business looking for fun, compassionate, and friendly people who want to make a difference in the lives of others.
The Director provides multi-plant leadership in all areas of food safety, sanitation, hygiene and regulatory compliance. The Director works in unison with the plant FS/QA Manager to be the liaison and process authority for regulatory personnel including onsite USDA/FSIS inspectors, visiting FDA Officers and State Regulators such as the Iowa Dept of Inspection and Appeals and the Ohio Department of Agriculture. This position provides leadership for the Plant Sanitation Mgr, Plant Sr Sanitation Mgr and the FS/QA Managers and their teams. This position reports directly to the VP of Technical Services.
Shall provide leadership in the areas of:
- Food safety and quality guidance for multiple manufacuturing plants (North Jackson, OH and Grinnell, IA).
- Understand and identify food safety risks in categories: Meat, Poultry, Seafood, Spices, Functional Ingredients, Flavors (powders, pastes, liquids), other
- Provide leadership and oversite for the regulatory compliance and food safety programs for the plant operations
- Food Science relative to microbiology as it relates with plant production environments, product development/R&D (i.e. controls in pH, shelf life extenders, etc.)
- Regulatory Guidance and leadership for labeling compliance with FDA and USDA/FSIS inspected products
- Allergen management within multiple production operations
- Federal and State Regulatory Agencies: USDA/FSIS; FDA, Ohio Dept of Ag, Iowa Inspection and Appeals, State Health Departments
- Finished Meals/Ingredients/Raw Material Complaints – assisting plants and purchasing in corrective action and root cause analysis feedback
- Food Safety Plans (FSMA compliance HARPC) and HACCP Plans –production facilities
- Sanitation Processes and chemical utilization for facility and equipment cleaning and sanitizing
- Mentor and provide training along with succession planning for all team members
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- 10 years or more experience in a managerial role in human food manufacturing facilities
- 5 years or more experience within USDA/FSIS inspected post slaughter RTE operations
- Excellent knowledge of HACCP(seafood, meat & poultry), & HARPC and experience in implementation of Food Safety Management Plans
- Certification by recognized HACCP training provider. (Meat, Poultry & Seafood)
- Working knowledge of Title 9 & 21 Code of Federal Regulations and guidelines for a dual jurisdiction operations (FDA, USDA/FSIS)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Meat Science or similar
- GFSI training (SQF, BRC, FSSC 22000, etc)
- 10 years or more experience with nutrition labeling requirements (FDA, USDA/FSIS)
- PCQI certification with working knowledge of the food safety modernization act (FSMA)
- Knowledge of processing equipment and sanitary design
Job Skills/ Behavior
- Comfortable working independently
- Effective communication skills and able to persuasively and passionately communicate needs for continuous improvement in food safety & quality
- Skills/knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer programs
- Ability to communicate in English orally and in writing with coworkers, regulatory officials, and plant management
- Ability and desire to lead multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Initiative and ablility to work as part of a team
- Excellent organization and decision-making skills
- On a daily basis while in consultation with Leadership, Plant Managers and Facility QA/FS Mgrs, the Director will be responsible for providing regulatory guidance and insight to key manufacturing plant operations.
- INTERNAL/EXTERNAL CONTACT
- Corporate Technical Services Management Team
- Plant Managers and Corporate Leadership
- Federal and State regulatory personnel
- Production Food Safety Teams (QA, Sanitation, Operations)
Type of Work
- Moderately Active: Work will involve being in hot or cold environments for extended periods of time. Person will need to be able to stand for long periods of time and actively move around equipment and relatively small spaces. Good eyesight with no color blindness
- Physical Work: Periodically be able to move large totes or carts of food and supplies with weights up to 44 pounds. Climb ladders and observe overhead pipelines and structures from heights
- Extreme Conditions: Extended work at temperatures below 40°F and potentially down to 0°F. Work at temperatures above 80°F for extended periods of time
- Schedule: The hours of work availability will be such that support is provided to the production facilities to assure continuous operations. The typical work day requires a minimum of 9 hours Monday-Friday. Operations are conducted in several different time zones and may require extended hours of availability.
- Travel up to 50% is required – multiple manufacturing facility reviews/audits, new equipment purchase & sanitary design reviews
Mom’s Meals complies with all applicable federal and state non-discrimination laws. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regards to race, religion, national origin, ancestry, color, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation or military status.