Food Safety and Sanitation Manager - Horn Lake, MS 38637
QC Auditor - South Bay, FL 33493
Florida Crystals is a leading domestic sugar producer and North America’s first fully integrated cane sugar company, guiding our sugar from farm to table. We are America’s first and only producer of certified organic sugar, grown and harvested in the United States. Our renewable energy facility is the largest of its kind in North America and provides clean energy that powers our sugar operations, which helps us reduce our use of fossil fuels. Florida Crystals also sustainably farms rice, sweet corn and other vegetables in rotation with our sugarcane. Our rice mill is the only rice mill in Florida. Our premium, gluten-free and vegan rice is sold through our Florida Table™ brand as well as through private label.
The Quality Auditor for Florida Crystals Corporation monitors the Food Safety and Food Quality programs related to the packaging of industrial and retail sugar products. They assist with preparation of Food Safety and Quality standard operating procedures, daily, weekly and monthly auditing, verification, and validation activities, investigate customer complaints as well as internal food safety, and quality issues. Assist the Quality Manager in ensuring the plant is audit ready at all times.
- Assists with daily direct observations and monthly Food Safety and Quality audits.
- Coordinates aspects of the plant HACCP/FMSA/SQF based Food Safety and Food Quality Programs including training, implementation, verification and validation under the supervision of the Quality Manager or SQF practitioner.
- Performs laboratory tests on in process material and finished products (microbiological, chemical and physical) when required.
- Contributes to continuous improvement initiatives for manufacturing, safety and quality in the areas of industrial and retail sugar packaging.
- Maintains the Corrective & Preventative Action (CAPA) database for continuous improvement.
- Assists in managing the SAP based certificate of analysis (COA) program.
- Assists the Quality Manager in investigating customer complaints and implementing corrective action plans.
- Follows established Hold and Release procedures in response to Quality and Food Safety issues.
- Provides notifications to maintenance when repairs or corrective action is needed related to food safety or quality.
- Assists with Quality and Food Safety documentation preparation, approval and revision control.
- Provides absentee coverage for the Quality Laboratory Technicians and SQF Practitioner when necessary.
- Assists the Quality Manager ensuring the plant is audit ready (third party, customer and regulatory).
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS and WORK EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience with HACCP and SQF Food Safety & Quality programs preferred.
- Previous experience with Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs) preferred.
- An associate’s degree in a science related discipline preferred, or comparable experience with good laboratory practices related to physical, chemical or microbial testing required.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Attention to detail; auditing documentation, systems and personal practices requires the ability to observe and record information with precision and accuracy.
- Good communication skills. The quality auditor needs to be able to rely information to area operators and management to monitor the Food Safety and Quality programs.
- The quality auditor needs soft skills such as patience, persistence and coaching to influence and guide associates to develop and maintain a culture of quality.
- High school diploma or GED is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science preferred or equivalent of 3 years work experience in food industry
- Knowledge of SAP is a plus.
- Bilingual a plus.
LOCATION OF ROLE
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.