Food Safety Auditor - Northbrook, IL 60062
Bell Flavors and Fragrances
The Food Safety Auditor will be accountable for conducting Food Safety and Quality audits of the Ingredient and Food Contact Packaging Supplier facilities in accordance with FSMA requirements. This position will also be responsible for the organization’s overall supplier approval program, the assessment and compliance of the supplier’s food safety and quality programs and documents. The position will also be a resource to the manufacturing plant, quality systems and supply chain team to investigate and audit any problem ingredient supplier. The position will also participate in the internal annual survey when the resource is needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and conducts scheduled audits of ingredient and packaging facilities and their corresponding food safety programs.
- Prepares audit reports, communicates with suppliers and approves supplier audit responses.
- Tracks and approves supplier audit corrective actions, tracks categories and total score and develops follow up action recommendations.
- Conducts assessment of the supplier’s compliance status by reviewing audit document, corrective actions and observations.
- Maintains accuracy of Supplier Audit Reports and Supplier Profile. Implement supplier KPI’s, tracks and trends supplier performance via a quality systems tools and communicates quality issues to suppliers as needed.
- Generates, reviews and implements Supplier Quality related policy/procedure and guidelines.
- Provides guidance to Purchasing and Operations in suppliers’ quality system requirements.
- Assists with the evaluation of problem vendors and ingredients with plant QA staff and conducts investigations around resolving customer complaints.
- Assist in maintaining a vendor approved list and assures compliance continuity.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with supplier partners, employees, supervisors and the general public.
- Assist in requesting and maintaining supplier documents.
- Monitors governmental regulatory trends as it relates to external supply.
- Participate in internal food safety and quality audits.
- Able to work flexible hours (nights and weekends) as required.
- Willing to travel – up to 75% of the time.
- Adhere to safe work practices, follow cGMP’s, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and/or Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Food Science or chemistry.
- Background in food science or related field and 5-10 years’ experience in QA systems and food safety auditing.
- Experience writing audit reports and interpreting corrective action responses.
- Working knowledge in GFSI certification schemes and FDA Foreign Supplier Validation Program (FSVP).
- Working knowledge of Quality systems, food safety plans and cGMP’s.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
PCQI certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements
- Ability to develop and implement root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Strong continuous improvement knowledge.
- Excellent computer skills in Office, SharePoint.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to respond effectively to customer and supplier’s inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to have effective and persuasive dialogues with suppliers and top management
- Technical Capacity
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Results Driven
- Bachelors or better in Biology