Assistant Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance - New Orleans, LA
Volunteers of America SELA
This position reports to The Program Director. The Assistant Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance will be the lead for food safety, quality assurance and regulatory compliance for Fresh Food Factor as well as product recalls. The ADFSQA will develop and implement strategies, policies and procedure s to protect the safety, quality and integrity of products during all operations at the Fresh Food Factor, to the accounts serviced and transportation. The ADFSQA will manage internal and external audit compliance with SQF and local, state and USDA governing bodies. The ADFSQA will establish strong working relationships with a variety of cross functional teams at the Fresh Food Factor and in the field across all levels of the organization, for training, implementation and enforcement of food safety quality and regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs daily finished product quality inspections.
- Ensure adherence of required quality and food safety laws, regulations, and company policies,
- Implement, maintain, and improve SQF (Safety Quality Food) program.
- Responsible for ensuring Food Safety in all actions and responsibilities.
- Manage internal audits and compliance for SQF, including overseeing corrective actions.
- Verification and audits of ongoing policies, SOPs and Food Safety to ensure SQF compliance.
- Ensures compliance to and audits HACCP plans
- Evaluate food safety concerns in facility and implement programs to eliminate hazards.
- Provide training to facility operations personnel on quality and SQF programs to promote the safe and cost-effective production of safe and quality product.
- Communicate to relevant employees all information essential to ensure effective implementation and maintenance of SQF. Also ensures that all staff are informed of their responsibilities to report food safety problems to personnel.
- Offer technical assistance in developing and implementing the training needs of employees performing functions affecting product legality, safety and quality.
- Follows instructions and training for reporting of Food Safety problems to appropriate personnel.
- Assumes SQFP and Food Safety responsibility across any facility as needed and or in the event of absence.
- Ensures all products are packaged in a safe, quality manner.
- Preparing for and leading a team through third party Food Safety/GMP audit.
- Conduct annual system review of SQF Program, Food Safety plans, and Pre Requisite Programs including verification and validation activities.
- Conduct Routine internal Audits.
- Assist with training, update files/documents.
- Observe processes and documents to prevent deviations that could impact Food Safety.
- Reviews non-conformities and coordinates corrective actions (i.e. returned goods, in-process goods, etc.).
- Ensures that SQF records are maintained.
- Required to provide all external auditors with needed materials and information follow up via written responses where applicable and coordinate supplemental site visits.
- Assist with shipping and receiving by reviewing COA s, incoming raw materials and outgoing finished product.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
- Assist in other capacities as determined by the Program Director.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound business judgment, and elicit support, and influence across the program.
- Provides continuous feedback and training.
- Presents a positive image of Volunteers of America and the Fresh Food Factor through adherence to account protocol and presentation of professional behavior.
- Bachelor s degree in Food Science, Biology or related field preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 5 + years of professional experience as a manager of both people and processes
- Minimum three years of Food Safety or Quality Control experience in a food manufacturing environment, preferably in a Cook Chill facility.
- Experience with Cook Chill operations preferred.
- Must have the ability to identify and assess potential food safety hazards and quality defects.
- Ability to effectively train essential plant employees in HACCP principles and SQF principles.
- Ability to drive continuous improvement.
- Experience in all aspects of Food Safety.
- Ability to communicate and work well with a diverse workforce.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and contribute positively to a culture of teamwork and entrepreneurial determination.
Must be able to demonstrate solid knowledge in the following areas:
- Staff Development and Training
The Program Assistant Director must:
- Able to effectively communicate verbally, electronically and in writing with vendors, customers, staff and other stakeholders.
- Be a self-starter who understands the collaborative nature of startup operations, and the role effective and efficient operations plays in program sustainability.
- Be able to demonstrate an intermediate level of computer literacy with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Be able to manage in a diverse environment with focus on client and customer services, entrepreneurship and building and growing a strong business to achieve success in this role.
- Be adaptable and able to identify and implement changes when needed.
- Be strong leader to assist in bringing the team together to create a successful operation.
- Have proven ability to exercise good judgment in making decisions.
- Actively works direct reports to develop growth and manage performance. Ability to organize, lead, motivate, and care for all personnel and manage issues.
- Have proven ability to work with a minimum of direct supervision and to carry a project to its completion.
- Have strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize multiple tasks concurrently.
- Have strong time management skills.
- SQF Practitioner with HACCP certification
- Should possess ServSafe Certification.
- First aid and CPR certification a plus.
This position requires travel to other locations, as appropriate in the performance of duties and responsibilities.
- Current driver s license issued by state of residence
- Current Vehicle Inspection decal
- Current Louisiana or Mississippi vehicle insurance
- Current vehicle registration in state of residence
- Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report and background check
Must be able to carry up to 50 pounds. Moderate noise levels. Frequent walking, grasping, carrying, bending, crouching, and reaching in order to complete food preparation and cleaning requirements. Dexterity is used while performing work with personal computer keyboard, calculator and other office equipment. This position is full-time and work schedules generally will be between 8:30am-5pm Monday through Friday.