VP Food Safety & Quality Assurance - Tewksbury, MA
The Vice President of Food Safety and Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs will lead Company’s global food safety and quality assurance strategy and infrastructure support plan for food quality and safety management. In recognition of the importance of quality and food safety, as well as the growing complexity of our business, we have created this Senior Leadership position to lead our efforts to ensure the safety of our products and global risk protection, product quality and brand integrity. This individual will have a critical role as a member of our Senior Leadership Team as the global steward. This individual will also be responsible for regulatory affairs providing both guidance and strategy for domestic and international markets. This newly created position will be based out of our Corporate Headquarters in Tewksbury, Massachusetts and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Has primary responsibility for brand protection in terms of global food safety strategy and execution
- Responsible for ensuring consistent product expectations are delivered to our consumers
- Will provide sound strategic advice to the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that all food safety risks are well understood, and there is a clear path to address any issues or brand risks in an effective and timely manner
- Lead and direct continuous improvement of food safety and quality practices, including those related to product enhancements, use of new production technologies and internal operating procedures
- Implement strategies that enable hazard and risk prevention across the organization
- Ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory activities related to food safety and product quality in order to protect brand integrity and promote positive initiatives pertaining to quality
- Develop and manage the internal global quality organization, vendor relationships and quality practices as well as all quality-related third-party support functions
- Collaborate across the organization to ensure the effective and safe commercialization of any new materials brought into Company
- Ensure cross-functional teams and all vendors are fully aligned on the development and execution of our food safety and quality plans.
- Provide regulatory strategies across our customer and manufacturing network
- Provide continuous coaching and support to both direct and indirect reports to ensure our teams are motivated, engaged, delivering results, and are reaching their full potential. Ensure there is always a well-planned succession plan for all critical positions in the team.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Safety, Microbiology, or another related field
- A minimum of 15 years of experience with corporate food safety, quality and compliance
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in FSQA, and RA at the senior leader career level
- Extensive experience in global food safety risk management and quality controls management
- Proactively interpret and communicate regulatory expectations to internal and external stakeholders in order to execute program objectives in full compliance with applicable regulations.
- Provide guidance and information to the Company’s executives and R&D management on emerging trends, regulations and guidelines.
- Extensive experience in leading food quality and food safety teams with effective and timely processes
- Experience leading cross-functional teams and overseeing a large network of partners, suppliers and vendors
- Interrogation and interpretation of production, laboratory, and research data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills capable of articulating / translating technical and complicated topics, including excellent presentation skills
- Ability to provide global strategies that align with Company’s vision and brand requirements
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, including international travel
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Master of Science in Food Safety, Microbiology, or another related field
- Pet food industry experience preferred, as well as biotech or food production experience
- Experience with extrusion, meat products and canning