Quality & Food Safety Professional - Northbrook, IL
Barilla is an Italian family-owned food company. Established in 1877, it’s now an international Group present in more than 100 countries.
A world leader in the markets of pasta and ready–to–use sauces in continental Europe, bakery products in Italy and crispbread in Scandinavia, the Barilla Group is recognized worldwide as a symbol of Italian know–how.
“ Good for You, Good for the Planet ” is Barilla’s purpose and the only way each person in the Group works and of which is an ambassador. It means caring for the wellbeing of people and the planet in everything Barilla does, from the field to consumption; it also means promoting open and transparent working relationships in the communities Barilla is part of.
Introduction – Organizational Details:
Barilla America, Inc. wants to recruit a Quality & Food Safety Professional – within Quality and Food Safety in Northbrook, IL . The individual will report to the Quality & Food Safety Senior Manager - Americas.
Coordinates and executes quality programs designed to ensure quality and food safety with the internal production plants. Applies consistent quality and food safety tools on new and existing products with the internal production plants based in North America.
- Diffuse the internal Barilla plant tools and instruments for Quality (Barilla Quality System Management, GMPs, IPM, HACCP) and guarantee correct application and improvement.
- Support R&D/Industrialization innovation through the Phase & Gate process of new launches & new ingredient evaluations, as assigned in North America.
- Assure that all the measures to guarantee Finished products’ compliance with specifications are properly executed.
- Drives the internal Barilla plant QFS activities following established guidelines, methods and assistance.
- Support the project activities for plant and pilot plant in terms of GMP, HACCP, and conformance to the specified design.
- Support analytical data collection related to Quality and Food Safety, drive key performance indicators (KPI’s) and use it to promote continuous improvement.
- Recognized technical reference supporting all Company departments for Quality and Food Safety related issues (specializing in Complaints and Technical Information Requests to customers).
- Assure the Barilla Global Complaint Management System is being communicated and acted upon.
- Apply & drive the Company’s Set of Vendor Assurance tools for Finished Products from approval to its performance evaluation.
- Be a reference to the internal Barilla plants Quality System and Food Safety audits for North America.
- Support the Q&FS meeting.
- Provide prompt and accurate information/documentation in case of the Food Safety Crisis.
- Be a key contact for plants for SAP and BI systems (or other integrated databases for information upload/data analysis) and assures the SAP QM model (or other systems such as LIMS, Trace Gains/vendor portal, Sample6, Process Map, etc.) is applied.
- Audit facilities and suggest improvements to their Quality Systems and follow up.
- Assist in managing and reconciling Distribution and Warehouse Hold (B002) material, in a timely manner.
- Represent the interface between Barilla plants and the suppliers for problems related to supplies quality.
- Other duties as assigned
Additional Information: Education/Work Experience
- BA or BSC in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Biology or Chemistry and 3-5 years’ experience in quality management in the food industry
- Working knowledge of food risks and management tools for mitigation, e.g. Food chemistry analyses, Chemical contaminants testing, statistic application to Quality
- Work experience in quality including root cause analysis, quality management, continuous improvement, and nonconformities, corrective and preventive actions.
- Experience with quality tools such as QMS projects, internal auditing, ISO 22000 and BRC for Food Safety
- HACCP experience
- Food Safety experience on food products and categories (i.e. meals, bakery, sauces, chilled and frozen foods)
- Experience in continuous improvement in the quality arena through the use of quality management tools
- Project management skills/capabilities
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Available to travel up to 10 - 20% mainly domestic; international as needed
This position is not immigration or sponsorship eligible.