Food Safety & Quality Assurance Manager - Lebanon, TN 37087
Food Safety & Quality Assurance Manager
There is no relocation package for this position.
*** Please note the links at the bottom of this job description to the required Skills and Aptitude Assessments, which must be completed to be considered for this opportunity.
Tennessee Cheesecake is a family-owned frozen dessert manufacturer located in Lebanon, TN. We make high-quality desserts for the foodservice and restaurant industry, and distribute nationwide. We are looking for a food safety and quality assurance professional who will thrive in a hard-working, small-business, team-oriented culture. If you are hungry enough to want to make a difference every day, and humble enough to want to learn every day, you will fit in well with our team and company culture. READ MORE ABOUT OUR COMPANY.
Tennessee Cheesecake Core Values - If this sounds like you, we hope you will apply!
- See the glass as half full
- Have heart. No jerks.
- Be Adaptable.
- Customer first.
- Dedication to the team.
- Have fun.
The Food Safety & Quality Assurance (FSQA) Manager, a key member of the company's executive team, is responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring policies and programs necessary to produce safe, high quality food products. This is a hands-on position, and time is generally split 40/60 plant/office.
The FSQA Manager is expected to provide professional leadership at a high level while also creating and implementing the day-to-day details of the company’s food safety and quality programs. Above all, we want somebody who is fun to work with, isn't afraid to spend time on the production floor and also behind a desk, and makes us better at what we do. You *will* be expected to do boots-on-the-ground work in the plant as our FSQA Manager, while also planning and building the department for growth. The successful candidate will be ready and willing to do a lot of heavy lifting with a positive and motivated mindset.
- Maintain, improve, and develop systems to support the company’s food safety programs.
- Responsible for understanding and leading the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards (SQF) implementation and re-certification.
- Oversee compliance with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls (HARPC) provision in the FSMA
- Assist plant leadership in managing local, state, customer/third party, and federal audits and inspections.
- Oversee CAPA program and investigation of customer complaints regarding food safety and quality.
- Work with Purchasing Department to manage supplier quality and compliance.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines and regulations.
- Oversee Integrated Pest Management program and other approved contractor relationships.
- Oversee and conduct annual and ongoing training for plant personnel.
- Lead and execute the Environmental Monitoring Program: Analyze data, identify trends, and manage corrective actions; Conduct ATP testing and data analysis; Conduct all environmental swabbing; Manage vendor relationship with laboratory.
- Manage all verification tasks, including: product testing, scales, temperature controls (cooler, freezer, ovens), adherence to GMPs, metal detectors, pre-op inspections and related activities.
- Responsible for internal audits and assist in corrective actions when necessary.
- Work with sanitation department to improve sanitation program and correct deficiencies.
- Monitor industry and regulatory updates, trends, and news to keep the company informed and ahead of the curve.
- Organize and lead monthly food safety team meetings.
- Serve as an advocate of our food safety culture.
- Performs other duties as needed. This is an evolving and growing department, and the successful candidate will be ready and excited to grow and evolve with us.
- Reports to the CEO.
- Works closely with management, production, sanitation, purchasing, R&D, and sales teams to achieve food safety and quality goals.
- No direct reports. This is currently a one-person department.
Job Requirements / Experience
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in food science, microbiology, or related field.
- Minimum of two years of food safety and quality control experience in a food manufacturing environment. RTE and/or frozen dessert experience a plus.
- Certified in Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standard SQF (Safe Quality Food)
- Be a self-starter: Get important things done. Own your tasks.
- Must be exhaustively meticulous, detail oriented, and have excellent communication skills. You know when and where to focus your energy.
- Organized. If you do not have excellent organization skills, do not apply for this position.
- Possesses a working knowledge of sanitation systems, techniques and procedures.
- Well-versed in Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Science brain: You thrive on data. You know how to use data to direct your efforts and identify solutions.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Positive and professional attitude and appearance is a must.
- Must be able to build a trusting and respectful rapport with team members in all other departments.
- Knowledge of FSMA, HARPC, FDA, and OSHA requirements.
- Computer knowledge: Must be tech-savvy. Google cloud, word processing, spreadsheets, etc. Ability to learn new technologies, crunch the numbers, and improve company systems/processes.
- Must be able to pass all pre-employment screens (including drug, background, and professional reference checks).
Physical Activities Required / Job Environment
- Standing and walking for extended time periods.
- Lifting up to 30 lbs occasionally.
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb, reach, lift, carry, pull, push, grasp, stoop, squat, bend, and stretch as needed.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves food debris, odors, equipment noise, temperature extremes, wet areas, or similar elements most of the work day.
Compensation & Benefits
- $95,000 annual salary
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off program
Tennessee Cheesecake is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
*** REQUIRED: Please complete the following Skills and Aptitude Assessments. To be considered for this position, applicants must complete these assessments.
> TNC Food Safety and Quality Skills Test: https://forms.gle/pAybHgkH1UC4LPgu6
> TNC Food Safety and Quality Aptitude Self Assessment: https://forms.gle/MD8ve61fbWHEvSjU7