R&D Food Scientist - Conestoga, PA 17516
The R&D Food Scientist is a technical expert that will assist in the management of the New Product Development (NPD) process as well as leading processes related to co-packaging, commodity, consumer packaging, and ingredient procurement. This individual will support our Sales & Marketing teams as part of the Research & Development group.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage multiple assignments/research projects concurrently and possess the ability to call out priority conflicts between a variety of business initiatives.
- Work with cross functional teams to scope and develop Cost Engineering opportunities
- Demonstrates the willingness/ability to learn new product categories and/or processing/packaging areas
- Translate research findings into meaningful business opportunities and communicate to cross-functional teams
- Exhibiting a collaborative mindset and applying innovative solutions are a must
- Formula/product commercialization working closely with cross-functional team members in production plants
- Create and update specifications
- Perform all duties within established Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) regulations, fleet safety and general safety guidelines; including the use of all personal protective equipment and devices as required.
- Provide guidance to assure programs, policies and practices are implemented and effective to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Support the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the Safe Quality Food (SQF) 2000 System.
- Hold all employees accountable to the Turkey Hill Food Safety and Quality Principles.
- Demonstrates knowledge of continuous improvement and lean methodology.
- Demonstrates the ability to engage and coach associates to effectively work in department and cross-functional teams to define and implement process improvements that provide value to the customer
- Demonstrate the ability to lead or facilitate department and cross-functional teams through implementation of continuous improvement projects
- Perform all other tasks as assigned by their supervisor
Minimum Position Qualifications
- B.S. or M.S. in Food, Dairy, or Chemical Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in technical function (may include graduate and/or internship experience)
- Basic understanding of food chemistry, analytical testing, formulations, and processing used in food manufacturing
- Basic understanding of ingredient functionality, interrelationships, process, and packaging
- Strong understanding of Design of Experiments
Desired Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated ability to execute work plans and drive for results
- Basic understanding of business need, designing and executing tests, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, documenting and communicating results, and commercializing products
- Ability to apply prior leaning or scientific principles to new situations
- Ability and willingness to work effectively in a diverse, disciplined team environment and work with limited supervision
- Project management skills – planning, analysis, resource deployment and control
- Strong written and oral communication skills; Strong problem analysis and resolution on both strategic and functional levels
- Effective time management and prioritization skills to execute tasks within tight timeframes and deadlines
- Agility to shift and adapt to changing priorities, proactively anticipating obstacles and flexibility to seek alternative solutions in order to keep projects on track