Product Development Technician (TAG) - Bakersfield, CA 93313
Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream
We are looking for someone to be responsible for supporting product development activities essential to the Innovation and Renovation portfolio of the Ice Cream Division. The ideal candidate should have a strong interest in Food Science and previous laboratory & pilot plant experience. The TAG Development Technician should be responsible with a high level of integrity, able to follow protocols and instructions and a standout colleague that shares the team’s passion for driving Innovation with the highest quality standards. Strong communication skills and ability to organize work are required.
Product Development Support
- Support product development by executing formulation work under the TAG Specialist guidance
- Coordinating product tastings for recipe approval
- Support TAG Specialist by leading shelf life/heat shock studies. The TAG Development Technician will be responsible for prioritizing the sample preparation, tasting coordination as well as results reporting and archiving.
- Support TAG Specialist throughout the Technical Acceptance process with sample and documentation preparation, as well as sample shipment within and outside of the United States
- Support TAG Specialist with the creation of “IN/OUT” product specifications to be provided to factories
- Support TAG Specialist with analytical lab tests, including but not limited to: drain weights, viscosity testing, density, water activity, fats & solids, and particle size
- Support sample preparation at Consumer Testing location if needed.
- Support execution of GLPs in the lab and follow safety rules and procedures
Pilot Plant Support
- Work with TAG Specialist to plan and execute product and/or process trials and tests
- Lead and coordinate ingredient prep, equipment cleaning, and waste disposal for all pilot plant trials and tests
- Train, coach and mentor other team members on equipment operation, maintenance and cleaning
- Support TAG Specialist by participating and coordinating (when needed) pilot plant result evaluations
- Integrate operational knowledge and safety, health and environment knowledge info projects
- Organizes laboratory records and files
- Supports laboratory activities to ensure that high quality standards of products, services, housekeeping, 5S standards and hygiene are maintained.
- Handle and maintain product samples, according to GLPs for product storage and handling.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of stock materials, flavors and supplies.
- Responsible for routine laboratory compliance and maintenance (Calibration, equipment testing, repairs) in adherence to Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream requirements.
- Ensures accurate recording of laboratory and quality records in compliance with the factory Quality Monitoring Scheme (QMS), including storage and retrieval of records.
Receiving/Shipping of Samples
- Responsible for samples and documentation preparation for shipment within and outside the United States
- Lead and coordinate incoming and outgoing shipments
- Organizing and maintaining storage areas to accommodate samples
- Support material ordering and on-boarding for trials at different locations.
- Support TAG Department by:
- Creating and maintaining departmental & trial POs
- Ordering and maintaining office supplies & tools
- Coordinating and organizing logistics for visits and training sessions
Requirements and minimum education level:
High School Diploma required, working towards college degree preferred.
At least 5 years of experience in Food Manufacturing environment required, Ice Cream experience is a plus.
- Technical Skills:
- Knowledge of operation and CIP of the following equipment required:
- Flavor Vat Skid
- Ammonia Freezer
- Fruit Feeder
- Sauce Pumps
- Hardening Box
- Metal Detector
- Experience on the following areas preferred:
- Knowledge of Wire Cutter operation
- Extruder with/without stick production
- Liquid Nitrogen handling and awareness
- Knowledge and experience with NCE
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to prioritize multiple assignments successfully.
- Must be precise and accurate, well organized worker with excellent time management while working in a fast paced environment.
- Good mathematical (basic statistical skills highly desirable), problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Computer-literate and proficient user of Word Processing/Spreadsheet/Databases applications.
- Self-starter – possess strong initiative, professional, and collaborative attitude
- Ability to work independently.
Position descriptions are not intended to be comprehensive lists of all responsibilities, skills, or efforts. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the position involves and what is required to perform it.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job R&D/Scientific/Product Development
Organization Dreyers Grand Ice Cream
Unposting Date Ongoing