Food Safety & QA Manager - Rochelle, IL 61068
Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food and beverage industry supply chain, and to play our part in ensuring families across the US and overseas can sit down together to eat.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates 170+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and Canada. In North America we have over 13,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
Manage and oversee the development, implementation, review, monitoring, verification, validation, and auditing of the Food Safety and Total Quality Management systems, including the Food Safety Fundamentals and Food Safety Plan. Ensure compliance to applicable food safety, customer, quality, and regulatory requirements. A commitment to developing the best team through sound people strategies.
- Take appropriate action to facilitate the development and implementation of and maintain the integrity of the Food Safety and Total Quality Management system across the assigned geographical location (district, facilities, etc.).
- Provide support to Operations through coaching and management to enable them to effectively lead food safety, quality and regulatory compliance
- Manage, validate, and verify activities outlined in governmental Food Standards Code (e.g. USDA, FDA, or country equivalent) and other associated food safety standards / guides (e.g. Woolworth’s, Safe Quality Food (SQF), Import/Export) are being performed within assigned business unit
- Responsible for assisting in identifying key food safety, quality, health, and sanitation training needs.
- Ensures closure of food safety and quality concerns and verifies hold process is properly implemented at the sites in partnership with site and local / regional Inventory Control personnel.
- Assists in development and implementation of the sanitation program at the facilities.
- Assist site senior management in establishing and implementing continuous improvement processes to improve the effectiveness of the food safety and Total Quality Management program.
- Other duties as requested.
Minimum Qualifications/Additional Skills:
Education, Training & Professional Experience:
- Bachelor degree (or in-country equivalent) in science-related field
- Minimum of 5-8 years’ experience working in a USDA or FDA (or equivalent in-country regulatory agency) food manufacturing or distribution environment (multi-site responsibility preferred)
- Sound knowledge of relevant food safety legislation, industry best practices, and hazard/risk management principles
- Experience with Export Programs is desirable
- Experience with internal auditing for food safety compliance - ASQ certification a plus (e.g. Certified Quality Auditor, Certified Quality Engineer, HACCP Auditor), or equivalent
- Completed a HACCP training course.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
- Experience developing, implementing and maintaining SQF (or equivalent) certification and HACCP plans.
- Ability to critically analyze processes and procedures to identify and assess potential food safety hazards, quality and compliance defects.
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
- Ability to negotiate and influence site management in issue resolution.
- Demonstrates consistency, flexibility and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates planning, task organizing and execution skills.
- Ability to move between changing working environments, and prioritize conflicting demands.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively deal with a variety of individuals.
- Strong customer service skills and proven ability to work with both internal and external customers at all levels
- Must be able to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and be comfortable in a high volume environment.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. To perform the essential functions of this position, the associate may spend approximately 70% of available time in the field (warehouses) with site management. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
- Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
- Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
- Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
- May require visiting facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
- May carry loads and occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or moves objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Requires the use of various electronic tools
- Occasionally works evenings or weekends in order to complete objectives or to attend meetings
- Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently.
- Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from executive management
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.