Manufacturing Engineer (Food Manufacturing) - Linden, NJ 07036
Extensis Recruiting Services
The Production Engineer is responsible for evaluating existing production equipment and providing new/improved machine designs or materials. Specific emphasis is placed on electrical engineering and PLC programming opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilities and maintenance management including building, boiler, receiving docks, contractors, service providers, etc.
- Execute capital projects through all phases, including development of ideas, completion of RFP’s (investment and expense), obtaining funding approval, implementation, validation, and integration into the manufacturing environment in a timely manner.
- Ready-to-serve (RTS) – Provide day-to-day technical support as needed in all production departments to ensure maximum production yield, machine up-time and overall equipment efficiency (OEE).
- Lead continuous improvement activities and projects; identify bottlenecks in the operation and improve through mechanical, process, flow improvements.
- Serves as the primary interface with OEMs for equipment selection and installation.
- Development of Manufacturing Control Plans (MCPs), troubleshooting guides for batch making, filling and other processes, and machine maintenance programs.
- Evaluate existing machine designs and provide new/improved machine design or process materials that will increase productivity/day rate, improve product quality/performance, or enhance cost efficiencies for the business.
- Lean Manufacturing projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline preferred
- Minimum 10 years production or manufacturing engineering experience preferably in a food environment
- In lieu of degree may consider an appropriate mix of education and experience
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Visio), statistical analysis software and various business (ERP) systems
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills with the ability to analyze, develop and implement corrections and improvements to machinery, process and workflow.
- Ability to adhere to prescribed routines and practices and handle non-routine matters and projects with minimal instructions or supervision
- Must be resourceful, highly organized and have the ability to prioritize work in order to meet deadlines
- Bilingual: English, Spanish helpful but not required
- Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate ‘off-hour’ emergencies.
- Must be able to travel to Rochelle Park office as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Strong leadership skills that inspire team confidence, collaboration and respect while motivating team members to contribute to continual improvement efforts.
- Personal and professional integrity of the highest order, with a balanced ego and the ability to dig in and focus on building a business.
- Troubleshooting skills and hands-on production support are vital.
- Strong understanding of machine processes and PLC interface.
- Understanding of food manufacturing requirements.
- Ability to analyze complex information and interpret situations effectively.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment when faced with time-sensitive situations.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally in a team environment.
- High energy, strong personal presence and maturity as components of leadership ability in order to facilitate the best decision-making and values.
- Sense of urgency.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to challenge conventional thinking without offending team members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication / interpersonal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to build and maintain good working relationships with others within the organization, suppliers, and customers.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint); AutoCAD, SolidWorks and various experience with MRP software
- PLC Programming (Allen-Bradley)
Contacts / Reporting
- Plant Manager
- Plant operators, fillers, batch makers
- Quality & Food Safety team
- PANOS Executives and Managers
- Marketing & Sales team members
- Finance & IT team members
- Marketing personnel, R & D
- Vendors, OEM, mechanical, electrical and other suppliers
- External Quality and other auditors
Equipment to Be Used
- Basic office equipment (computer, printer, fax, etc.)
- Basic Hand Tools
- Multi-meter, Oscilloscope
- Scissor-lift and/or lift-truck
Typical Physical & Mental Demands
- A typical work day requires sitting, walking and standing
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. (only on occasion)
- Ability to acess work areas at heights up to 12 feet, using scissor-lift or ladder
- Ability to move about manufacturing equipment
- Primarily works in an office environment. Frequently works in manufacturing where temperatures can exceed 100ºF
- The manufacturing operation utilizes automated equipment with moving parts
- Travel: local within New Jersey occasionally, specifically to Rochelle Park offices
Personal Protective Equipment
- Safety glasses (frames & lenses must meet OSHA Z-87.1-1989 standards)
- Additional PPE as required in various departments when in those areas
Initial Training Requirements (in addition to job specific training and orientation)
- Human Resources Orientation (company policies, etc.)
- General Safety Awareness
- Emergency Response Plan
- Fire Prevention
- Hazcom – “Right to Know”
- Machine Guarding
- Power Tools
- Acids, Caustics & Burns
- Electrical Safety – NFPA70E (qualified worker)
- Fire Extinguisher Use
- Gas Safety & Emergency Control
Finally, all employees are expected to be familiar with and abide by any Standards of Conduct outlined by the company.