Manager Quality & Food Safety - Yorkville IL
The Mars Wrigley Quality & Food Safety Manager leads the site Q&FS team in order to assure the production of high quality, safe and legally compliant products that meet the desired product design and customer expectations. To provide governance of the Quality and Food Safety Management process and lead the implementation of the Mars Standards at the factory. As a custodian of the Quality and Food Safety Standards this position represents R&D functions at the local plant level and is expected to lead continuous improvement on Quality and Food Safety.
What are we looking for?
- BS degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Food Safety, Engineering or related technical field and
- 3+ years relevant experience in Quality and Manufacturing environment with experience in line management or a proven track record in coaching and developing teams and individuals; and or
- Combination of education and 5+ years demonstrated success in relevant manufacturing/quality experience
- Advanced Degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related technical field and
- 4+ years relevant experience in Quality and Manufacturing environment with proven capabilities leading other technical leader
Proven technical experience in Food Manufacturing preferably within chocolate/candy (confectionary) product formulation, process development, and Quality Management
Must be able to draw on personal experience and apply own judgment to reach firm decisions
Knowledge of HACCP, GMPs, ISO 22000, ISO 9000 quality and food safety management systems
Statistics, Problem solving and Lean Six Sigma methods
Food microbiology, analytical chemistry, and sensory methods
Process engineering, manufacturing equipment, and controls
Activity Management Process
Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
What would your key responsibilities be?
- Line Management and coaching of the Site Q&FS team, supporting the development of a talent pipeline for Q&FS at site level
- Lead R&D Strategy Deployment at the site, improving established ways of working and delivering against key metrics reflected in the company business objectives
- Lead the quality agenda on the site to ensure wholesome products that meet the regulatory requirements
- Lead and support MARS Inc. and external standards (FSSC, etc.) implementation on the site and drive the Q&FS mindset and behavior
- Sustain efficient quality management system, in compliance to FSSC and MARS QMP standards, including CAPA and training programs
- First line of contact for legal authorities and MARS product related Q&FS requests as the “quality responsible person” for the factory
- Ensure the integration of Q&FS procedures and processes into Mars Supply Excellence (TPM) to drive quality performance
- Perform key metric, incidents and Continuous Improvement reviews (QMR, period reviews, etc.) to ensure transparency at management level and coordinate site CAPA activities
- Manage quality and food safety incidents based on PRIMP global standard on the site level, decision making for out of specification materials and products, ensuring that relevant corrective and preventive actions are defined and implemented
- Accountable for site approval of all product, raw materials, packaging and process specifications, quality food safety risk assessments and change management, trial requests, etc. using the defined and agreed ways of working
- Leader of Quality Pillar (MSE) at the Site, drive implementation and continuous improvement
- The Site Q&FS Manager coordinates the implementation of R&D activities on site through deployment of cross-functional ways of working. The role represents the R&D function in the Site Management team.
- The role leads key continuous improvement projects/strategies that enable the delivery of Q&FS objectives and performance. The tasks are executed in close collaboration with factory team, Business unit functions including operations, engineering, commercial and supplier quality assurance.
- The appropriate level of resources, skills and support at site level is ensured via coaching, developing and managing the Site Q&FS team. Building and encouraging the development of R&D talent pipeline at site level is part of this leadership function.
- The role ensures governance of Q&FS performance on site through Q&FS culture and behavior and has a significant impact via proper incident management on site, including CAPA program.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.