Sanitation Supervisor - Portland, OR 97203
Ajinomoto Foods North America is a leading frozen foods company, committed to providing nutritious and delicious meals globally. With a rich history of diverse ethnic brands, our brands have become household favorites all across America. We are dedicated to contributing to a healthier lifestyle through nutritious and balanced Umami foods. With a commitment to excellence and innovation, all our products are cooked with our customers in mind, providing healthy and delicious meals for all.
We are looking for a Third shift Sanitation Supervisor to join our rapidly expanding team in the Portland area. The Sanitation Supervisor is responsible for supervising and activity coordination of sanitation workers while maintaing HACCP, USDA, FDA, QA and all written Ajinomoto Foods Standard Operating Procedures.
- Supervise the day-to-day implementation of sanitation protocols and safety measures to achieve AJIWIN regulatory agency regulations (SSOP, GMP, OSHA, SQF, etc.).
- Ensures shut-down processes are followed to ensure proper sanitation.
- Monitors the daily activities of assigned staff, providing instructions and performance feedback to ensure that productivity and quality objectives are met or exceeded.
- Identifies and resolves process and equipment problems, using available resources to maintain sanitation, productivity and quality levels.
- Implements approaches to improve quality and productivity by developing new ideas, improving processes, and planning for upcoming equipment or process changes
- Performs additional tasks to support plant operations.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as necessary.
- Oversees all sanitation personnel to ensure work is being performed to SSOPs.
- Ensures all sanitation is done to third party auditor compliance
- Will work closely with QA/QC to ensure all sanitation policies ensure the plant is, and stays, in a food safe manner
- Maintains an adequate supply of all the necessary chemicals, supplies and equipment to perform all sanitation tasks, as required.
- Keeps a Master Sanitation Schedule of items that requires periodic attention.
- Responsible for buildings and grounds upkeep
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Productivity/quality standards: cleanliness
- Productivity/quality standards: continuous product/process improvement
- Staffing, training, scheduling, and utilization
- Sanitation Records Management
- Inventory Control
- Start-up and Shut-down efficiencies
- Compliance with regulatory agencies
- Teamwork within the department and across departments
- Vendor relations
- Safety standards and procedures: employees
- Safety standards and procedures: equipment
Meet Regulatory Requirements
- Must ensure sanitation guidelines and equipment meets or exceeds USDA, FDA, State, HACCP and QA standards.
- Train and verify that sanitation workers follow OR-OSHA safety guidelines, GMP and ISO 9001 standards.
- Reinspect each completed cleaning assignment to identify and preclude any criticism which may be indicated in the Pre-Operational inspection process.
- Respond and complete all Pre-Operational deficiencies indicated on report by the beginning of the next production day and/or by the end of shift including all sanitation logs.
- Promote, ensure and comply with all company policies, procedures and safety programs necessary to reduce and eliminate personal injury caused by the improper chemical applications and/or improper use of personal protective equipment (PPE’s).
- Identify, reduce and eliminate the potential risks and hazards of accidents and safety related incidents.
- Conduct 5 minute meetings to discuss daily safety topics.
- Perform safety observations on sanitation practices at least once per week. Make recommendations to safety committee and/or initiate safety related activities as appropriate to support and maintain the objective of zero accidents per year.
- Establish a training program where employees can be assessed for education and successful hands-on progress. Provide mentor as training example to support and educate new employees in training. Evaluate 30/60/90 days for performance and experience measurement.
- Must have comprehensive understanding of MSDS, chemicals, and use/application of chemicals in the sanitation process.
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years previous sanitation experience, preferably in a food grade manufacturing facility. Minimum 1 year experience in sanitation
- Food processing and techniques
- Food Safety & Quality Assurance concepts and techniques
- Sanitation concepts and techniques
- Chemical properties of sanitizers and cleaners
- OSHA, SSOP, SDS, HACCP, FSIS, USDA policies and regulations
- Supervisory concepts and procedures
- Food processing equipment
Language Skills – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Presentation Skills – ability to make clear, concise and convincing business presentations.
Analytical – ability to independently perform, mentor and manage others in conducting complex technical analysis of manufacturing data, statistical process control (SPC) and supplier performance.
Leadership – ability to act as team leader for special task assignments; providing leadership in development of skills and knowledge for team members; demonstrated ability to develop subordinates by driving, delegating, supporting, coaching, and empowering.
Mentoring – ability to mentor other team members in technical knowledge and management skills.
Communication Skills – excellent verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
Organizational Skills – excellent people and organizational skills.
Judgment/Decision Making – ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate business judgement and recommendations independent of supervisor.
Computer Skills – working knowledge of Microsoft based software, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
Other – ability to elicit internal and external support; good interpersonal skills; ability to work under pressure and short time lines, prioritizing multiple projects with various simultaneous deadlines, as well as attention to detail with accuracy.