Food Safety Manager, Supplier/Co-Man - Seattle, WA
Amazon.com Services LLC
- Bachelor’s Degree in food science, microbiology or related field.
- Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) Certification.
- 3+ years of experience in food manufacturing and/or auditing.
- Exceptional risk assessment skills (regulatory requirements, safety and quality risks).
- Ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting.
- Ability to travel 40% of the time.
At Amazon.com, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you'd like to help us build the place to find and buy anything online, this is your chance to make history.
We are looking for a Food Safety Manager to join our team. This role will focus on upstream Food Safety controls at Supplier and co-manufacturer operations.
Our vision for Food Safety is to support Amazon’s mission of offering the widest selection of products available, while protecting customers from potential hazardous products. We are looking for a dynamic, organized self-starter to join our Food Safety department, focusing on our private label foods. The position will be located in Seattle. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a highly visible space and be part of a vibrant and fast-growing company!
Needed Skills and Abilities:
- Influencer: Food Safety Manager with the ability to identify opportunities, influence business teams and operations to gain support for food safety and overcome resistance by creating strong, persuasive, balanced positions through the use of data.
- Leader: Significant experience collaborating with and influencing cross-functional teams. Track record of implementing food safety programs within a business.
- Doer: No job is too trivial. Compliance leaders dive deep and have exceptional attention to detail. Must have the ability to successfully visualize and drive end-to-end process requirements, program implementation, and continuous improvement, working through the many obstacles along the way.
- Communicator: Ability to communicate food safety and quality expectations and requirements with business leaders and all cross-functional support teams at all levels of the organization. Must have the ability to write well-reasoned and data-driven white papers, leveraging science, research, industry benchmarking and trends where necessary.
- Problem Solver: Exceptional problem-solving skills required. Crisis events require quick, high-judgment decisions, and the ability to direct teams to work through difficult challenges.
As a high-level summary the deliverables are:
- Coordinate food safety and quality audits with manufacturing facilities including communication of audit process and scheduling.
- Audit facilities against the Amazon Ingestible Audit Standard.
- Create audit reports and close out corrective action plans within agreed to timeframe.
- Refine audit process as needed.
- Attend first production runs to ensure product and process match what is defined in the technical product specification.
- Manage third party auditing provider if necessary.
- Define and monitor metrics to track compliance and process effectiveness.
- Propose and work independently on projects that drive efficiencies and standardization.
- Keep abreast of emerging issues in food safety and quality as it relates to manufacturing facilities.
- Master’s Degree in food science, microbiology or related field.
- Competency in both USDA and FDA regulated products
- In-depth knowledge of GFSI standards and how they relate to each other.
- Experience working with suppliers (international & domestic) and co-manufacturing operations.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.