Quality & Food Safety Specialist - Avon, NY
Barilla is an Italian family-owned food company. Established in 1877, it’s now an international Group present in more than 100 countries.
A world leader in the markets of pasta and ready–to–use sauces in continental Europe, bakery products in Italy and crispbread in Scandinavia, the Barilla Group is recognized worldwide as a symbol of Italian know–how.
“ Good for You, Good for the Planet ” is Barilla’s purpose and only way each person in the Group works and of which is ambassador. It means caring for the wellbeing of people and the planet in everything Barilla does, from the field to consumption; it also means promoting open and transparent working relationships in the communities Barilla is part of.
The Quality & Food Safety Specialist is responsible for leading and/or completing quality and food safety projects and tasks in a timely manner and summarizing results in a coherent method. The Quality & Food Safety Specialist works effectively across all departments to gather information, problem solve, complete corrective actions, and perform internal audits. The Quality & Food Safety Specialist is responsible for coordinating and summarizing quality and food safety testing and results for raw materials, packaging materials, finished product, and environmental monitoring.
- Lead consumer complaint meetings.
- Investigate consumer complaints and document results.
- Develop and update procedures that are easily understood for the appropriate audience.
- Work with outside laboratories to coordinate testing and use appropriate test methods.
- Actively participate and lead trace drills.
- Document and summarize experimental data and summarize in a coherent method.
- Communicate results and observations to appropriate Barilla personnel as needed.
- Serve as the contact person for production and keep supervisors informed of changes and issues that may arise.
- Collaborate with manufacturing operators to prevent defects and, when defects are found, seek out and remove causes.
- Compile end-of-the-month reports as required.
- Point of contact for Quality Assurance Technicians for technical, procedural, and food safety issues.
- Active participant in audits by internal teams and external agencies, as required or requested.
- Facilitate testing and non-conformity resolution with co-packers and suppliers when necessary.
- Facilitate testing for Industrialization trials and support the Processing Technologist.
- Ensure measurement systems are aligned and statistically transparent between various Labs (e.g. Ames, co-packers, suppliers, etc.)
- Support Veggie production including knowledge of vegetable processing, low acid foods and associated microbiology knowledge.
- Support the Avon facility with microbiological issues during cleaning, sanitation, bio-load evaluations, environmental monitoring, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manage, lead, and complete projects to support the Food Safety Management System (FSMS) and remain prepared for FSSC 22000 audits and regulatory inspections.
- The QA Specialist will assist in overseeing day-to-day activities in the Avon Lab, as well as assist in helping complete some of the day-to-day work to help cover for staff vacations or during times of heavy work flow.
- Food Defense Officer and Food Fraud leader. Verifies all company and regulatory requirements are in place and effective.
- A minimum of a BS in Food Science, Food Manufacturing, Biology, or other Science based degrees.
- 3-5 years of quality assurance experience in a food-manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Excellent Project Management and communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft office. Working knowledge of SAP preffered.
- Knowledge of food safety, HACCP and appropriate supporting programs (e.g. cleaning, sanitation, pest management, etc.) is required.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and GMP requirements.
- Knowledge of ISO standards and systems, including ISO 22000 and TS22002/1 is required.
- Knowledge of Thermal Processing for food is a plus.
- FSMA knowledge and/or PCQI certification is preferred.