Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance - Saint Joseph, MO 64504
Triumph Foods, L.L.C
SUMMARY: The Plant Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance (FSQA) is directly responsible for leading and implementation of all food safety and quality assurance policies / programs, USDA and FDA compliance and product quality initiatives through the use of strategic initiatives and execution excellence that provides compliance with all quality specifications, USDA/FDA regulations and International Regulatory laws that have jurisdiction over Seaboard Foods, Triumph Foods and Seaboard Triumph Foods facilities and products. The Plant Director of FSQA will be responsible for administering, developing and implementing breakthrough strategies and programs to achieve maximum quality, food safety, compliance to regulations, customer satisfaction and ethical standards. This position has direct supervisory responsibilities over the Food Safety, Quality Assurance, Sanitation Monitoring and Laboratory Staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This list is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and implement plant FSQA procedures, HACCP plan, FSMA, GFSI programs and lab procedures
- Oversee the plant adoption, implementation and maintenance of the FSQA software.
- Develop a high performing team driven by solid talent identification, development and succession planning of employees engaged in food safety, quality assurance, sanitation and laboratory activities. Coordination, development, oversight and enforcement of all plant FSQA compliance activities, including all regulatory label compliance, specification approvals, HACCP and USDA relationships, FDA FSMA, product and process auditing and verification of corrective actions.
- Proactively work and develop processes to prevent recalls, withdraws and loss of customers due to quality issues; research and recommend enhancements to food safety, product quality, production procedures, equipment, and management practices.
- Collaborate on all FSQA activities to add guidance and expertise in all areas where a subject matter expert, (ex. Lab, AMS, AW, data collections, sanitation, etc.)
- Effectively partner with Operations, Maintenance, Sales, Supply Chain, Customers and other functional areas in the organization to teach, lead and guide all employees engaged in food production in food safety and quality initiatives.
- Manage written responses, customer inquiries and visits for food safety and product quality complaints and claims.
- Create and foster a culture that understands and recognizes food safety and quality as a top priority, ensure employees are trained on an on-going basis in compliance with company standards to ensure safety, quality and consistency of products. Ensure high levels of engagement from all levels of employees within the facility through positive and effective employee relations
- Foster an environment of continuous process improvement to drive efficiencies, increased accuracy, and stronger decision making.
- Administer Plant FSQA department and create an environment of teamwork.
- This position is responsible for hiring, development, management and succession planning of the plant FSQA staff
- May at times fill in for FSQA Manager and Regulatory Manager
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in meat, food science, microbiology or related discipline required with 8+ years of progressive leadership responsibilities in the meat/pork industry managing, auditing, developing and implementing food safety and quality assurance programs or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have thorough knowledge of both commercial and technical aspects related to FSQA for the pork industry including a comprehensive experience with USDA rules and regulations.
- Must be well versed in current FSIS directives and regulatory requirements.
- HACCP/Food Safety Certification and experience with GFSI schemes.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with USDA, customers, sales, production and management personnel.
- Ability to provide critical analysis to audits and other data collected on products, procedures and programs.
- Well-developed management skills utilizing sound team management principles in leading a large team of diverse employees.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to advise, champion and uphold regulatory, company and customer standards at all levels of the organization.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be skilled in clear verbal communication for effective training to achieve adult learning.
- Prior experience presenting information and responding to questions from management and employees at all levels of the organization.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled