Food Safety Manager - West Bridgewater, MA 02379
Administer all food safety and sanitation activities in for Star Market in compliance with established laws, regulations, and corporate and Division policies and procedures; maintaining a safe food and a healthful environment for all customers, associates and vendors.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Conduct frequent and unscheduled food safety and sanitation visits to stores with particular emphasis on those locations with below average third party food safety survey results, evidence of pest problems, customer complaints, regulatory action, history of non-compliance or referral by other company associates or management. Review visit findings with key store personnel and provide assistance to correct deficient conditions. Communicate findings to Division management for follow-up and support, as needed.
- Assist in coordinating all food safety and sanitation efforts with Division management, Store Directors and Department Managers under the direction of the Food Safety Director.
- Monitor third-party sanitation and pest control providers in their day-to-day services to stores, communicating to them store needs for training, supplies and service. Implement plans to address noted deficiencies to ensure compliance with Company policies and applicable health regulations.
- Monitor and assist stores to comply with local, state and federal food safety and health standards, including personal hygiene and hand washing, temperature control of potentially hazardous foods, cross contamination control, pest control and chemical use training.
- Develop and deliver food safety & sanitation training to associates as required by Local/State Regulations.
- Monitor and assist with corporate food safety and sanitation training programs and on-the-job training of new associates with respect to food safety and sanitation policies and procedures. Determine need for additional or renewed training, considering changes in cleaning programs or equipment, new health regulations or concerns, and repeat inspection deficiencies or lack of ability to demonstrate required knowledge.
- Develop and communicate regular food safety and sanitation messages to Store Operations to foster continuous improvement.
- Analyze third party food safety and sanitation survey data and provide periodic trend analysis reports for store and Division personnel.
- Review product recall bulletins for accuracy and completeness. Monitor dissemination and store execution of product recalls. Evaluate effectiveness of recall process during store visits.
- Provide input in Merchandising and Operations' programs to ensure compliance with Local/State/Federal food safety requirements.
- Develop and foster active working relationships with State/Local health officials in all states of responsibility to provide input into developing regulations and inspections processes. Work with professional associations to promote Company interests. Stay abreast of regulatory requirements for food safety and store sanitation to provide necessary direction to Division operations executives. Provide regular updates to the Regional Food Safety & Sanitation Director of all regulatory trends and actions that impact the business.
- Assist as requested with investigations of food-related illness claims to determine and implement corrective action.
- Participate in Division staff meetings, store director and department meetings, and career advancement program training meetings.
- Maintain channels of communication, encouraging store and Division personnel to express new ideas, suggestions and complaints, reviewing each for appropriateness and further action. Maintain channels of communication with State and local health regulators to provide for quick action to correct and prevent regulatory violations.
- Assist and follow-up if necessary on Associate Hotline Calls
- Conduct joint surveys/visits with third party sanitation provider to develop and foster a partnership and ensure consistent, thorough store visits.
Relevant Experience, Education, Certification, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in public health, environmental health, food science, or equivalent preferred. Previous experience or education in food handling, sanitation, or public health preferred. Familiarity with retail grocery operations preferred. Must obtain all professional licensure required by local law or regulation.
- Must possess leadership ability to motivate others to achieve desired results. Deal effectively with a wide variety of people on a daily basis.
- Strong analytical skills required for data interpretation and analysis. Computer skills in word-processing and spread sheet software preferred.
- Possess excellent communication skills, including verbal and written plus the ability to speak effectively before groups. Must be able to interface effectively with a wide variety of personnel. Possess ability to communicate concepts, systems, procedures, etc., in a training environment.
- In the retail stores, incumbent may perform any number of physical activities to accomplish assigned duties such as walking and standing (90% of the workday when in the stores), bending, stooping, reaching, and lifting up to 40 lbs.
- Some work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment.
- May be in refrigerated food processing rooms for extended periods, may handle hazardous chemicals and manipulate or install cleaning equipment and dispensers. Incumbent must be able to move throughout the store including second story offices, back rooms and check stands.
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone, and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
- Incumbent must have a valid drivers' license and be able to provide own transportation (mileage will be reimbursed).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policy and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified may vary within each department and/or location.