Asst Scientist Product and Food Safety - Lewisville, TX
Under direct supervision and guidance, supports, coordinates and/or performs
activities that ensure the safety of our nutrition and food products during
development and pre-launch. Responsible for toxicological safety assessments,
food safety hazard analyses, and packaging safety. Communicates effectively
with peers, management, and external consultants. Communicates effectively
with coworkers in international markets
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Reviews and provides feedback on new product concepts and formulas with
consideration to overall product safety, established upper limits and
industry best practices. Readily partners with peers in R&D during
development of new products. 25%
2. Responsible for safety assessment reports on ingredients, formulations,
and packaging to support new product development. Coordinates with external
toxicology consultants to complete assessments. Begins to utilize
quantitative risk assessment. Works with supervisor in reporting out safety
risk assessments. 25%
3. Responsible for food safety hazard analyses as part of a HACCP or HARPC
plan. Partners with Quality department. Works well cross-functionally.
4. Works with supervisor to formalize work processes, such as drafting work
instructions and job aids. Actively participates in projects or initiatives
to support overall department and/or R&D goals.
5. Drafts reports with direction from other department scientists. Reports
may be used for regulatory support or internal project documentation. May
assist others within Product Safety with research, testing and review of
products beyond the nutrition product category.
In addition to the above, incumbent is expected to meet the required
competencies for this position as defined in the competency profile.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education Bachelorís Science degree in a Biological Science, plus
Experience 0+ years of product safety, food safety or other applicable
1. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
2. Must be able to manage multiple projects with guidance from supervisor.
3. Must have basic knowledge of toxicology and risk assessment.
4. Must have ability to apply standard scientific principles and make sound
scientific judgments within scope of role.