Safety Manager - Seattle, WA
Amazon.com Services LLC
- Bachelorís Degree in food science, microbiology or related field.
- Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) Certification.
- 5 years of experience in food manufacturing and/or auditing.
- Exceptional risk assessment skills (regulatory requirements,
safety and quality risks).
- Ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and
- Ability to travel 40% of the time.
At Amazon.com, we're working to be
the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need
exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you'd like to help us
build the place to find and buy anything online, this is your chance to make
We are looking for a Food Safety Manager to join our team.
Our vision for Food Safety is to support Amazonís mission of offering the
widest selection of products available, while protecting customers from
potential hazardous products. We are looking for a dynamic, organized
self-starter to join our Food Safety department, focusing on our private
label foods. The position will be located in Seattle. This is an exciting
opportunity to work in a highly visible space and be part of a vibrant and
Needed Skills and Abilities:
- Influencer: Food Safety Manager with the ability to identify
opportunities, influence business teams and operations to gain support
for food safety and overcome resistance by creating strong, persuasive,
balanced positions through the use of data.
- Leader: Significant experience collaborating with and influencing
cross-functional teams. Track record of implementing food safety
programs within a business.
- Doer: No job is too trivial. Compliance leaders dive deep and
have exceptional attention to detail. Must have the ability to
successfully visualize and drive end-to-end process requirements,
program implementation, and continuous improvement, working through the
many obstacles along the way.
- Communicator: Ability to communicate food safety and quality
expectations and requirements with business leaders and all
cross-functional support teams at all levels of the organization. Must
have the ability to write well-reasoned and data-driven white papers,
leveraging science, research, industry benchmarking and trends where
- Problem Solver: Exceptional problem-solving skills required.
Crisis events require quick, high-judgment decisions, and the ability to
direct teams to work through difficult challenges.
As a high-level summary the
- Coordinate food safety and quality audits with manufacturing
facilities including communication of audit process and scheduling.
- Audit facilities against the Amazon Ingestible Audit Standard.
- Create audit reports and close out corrective action plans within
agreed to timeframe.
- Refine audit process as needed.
- Attend first production runs to ensure product and process match
what is defined in the technical product specification.
- Manage third party auditing provider if necessary.
- Define and monitor metrics to track compliance and process
- Propose and work independently on projects that drive
efficiencies and standardization.
- Keep abreast of emerging issues in food safety and quality as it
relates to manufacturing facilities.
- Masterís Degree in food science, microbiology or related field.
- Experience with pet food categories.
- Understanding of various food product
categories and processing steps.
- In-depth knowledge of GFSI standards and how they relate to each
- Experience working with international suppliers.
Amazon is an Equal
Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer -
Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation