Scientist II - Downers Grove, IL
Tyson Foods, Inc.
This position is responsible for developing emerging
technologies and commercializing new and improved products and/or processes
through guidance from their manager. This covers all stages of product
development from concept through launch of a stage gate process. This
includes product claims and nutrition, label development, process
development, and writing new product specifications and ensuring food safety
requirements are met. Understanding the cost benefits of different
ingredients and/or having culinary experience is an
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop culinary samples/prototypes of new products, modifying
existing products, optimizing existing products, developing
- Develop product production labels and compiling cost analysis
- Strong working knowledge of the scientific methods and is
expected to leverage knowledge related to ingredients, product
formulation and food processing to support best in class development of
new, innovative food products
- Work with and influence cross functional team members (marketing,
insights, sales, culinary, FSQA, operations and purchasing departments,
coordinating with suppliers of ingredients) while ensuring smooth
start-up for new product production processes
- Work with process development to develop process flow charts for
- Ability and Initiative to grow within the organization and
develop a personal development plan with your manager
Requirements for Food Scientist II:
- BS, MS or PhD in Meat Science, Food science, or Food Engineering
or related field.
- Relative experience with new product innovation with
consumer-packaged goods experience
- To be considered with no experience, must have a PhD in Food
Science, Meat Science, Food Engineering or related field, with M.S.
minimum 3 years in Food Science, Meat Science, Food Engineering or
related field, with B.S minimum 4 years in Food Science, Meat Science,
Food Engineering or related field, with no degree you must have a
minimum of 10 years relevant work experience.
- Requires excellent computer skills with ability to fully utilize
MS Office products and Tyson systems (or like systems)
- Zoom or Teams experience preferred
- Presentation skills required
- Solid writing and verbal skills
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate with cross
functional business partners & train fellow team members on new
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to drive timelines
- Culinary prototyping and presentation skills are nice to have
- Understanding of Stage gate Research and Development process a
- Understanding of regulatory labeling and food safety requirements
Supervisory: None currently
- 25% - 12+ domestic trips per year
- Travel will be required to accomplish our internal and external
- This includes customer meetings, plant production facilities for
testing and commercialization of new products, process trouble shooting
and any other regular business needs.
Long term growth opportunities: Individual contributors or
management in the future
1ST SHIFT (United States of
When completing a Tyson Foods employment application, be
sure to complete all tasks listed on the candidate home page. If not, you
will see a message that there are 1 or more task(s) that require attention.
Applicants for hourly production positions must complete the task to provide
additional information to be considered from employment.
Tyson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, national
origin, color, religion, age, genetics, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability or veteran status.
CCPA Notice. If you are a California resident, and would
like to learn more about what categories of personal information we collect
when you apply for this job, and how we may use that information, please read
our CCPA Job Applicant Notice at Collection, click here .