- Food Safety Systems - Newark, NJ 07102
United Airlines Inc.
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world
— come find yours
The Catering Operations department develops and provides the
great dining experiences on board our aircraft and ensuring the catering
operation goes smoothly.
Job overview and responsibilities
The Supervisor Food Safety will lead the day to day Food Safety
and Quality Assurance program for the Catering Facility. This role will
support the Food Safety Manager to develop, implement and maintain the
site-specific food safety plan to ensure compliance with applicable
regulatory requirements (FDA and IFSA). The supervisor is responsible for
leading the team of food safety coordinators with implementing, enforcing and
monitoring the Food Safety programs. This role is the designated back up
Preventive Control Qualified Individual (PCQI) for the local facility
operation. This role is responsible to develop, implement and sustain the
food safety management system. This position is also responsible for training
and supervision of their direct and indirect reports, providing the oversight
and resources required to ensure compliance with the established Food Safety
Plan and FSMA.
- Support the Food Safety Manager with
implementation of the food safety program to ensure training,
understanding and compliance to sustain the food safety program
- Develop, review and update food safety
documentation to ensure adequate document control of standard operating
procedures that reflect current practices
- Manage all food safety records to ensure
that they are audit ready and available at all times
- Conduct food safety audits and
inspections as well as supplier audits as needed
- Lead the Continual Improvement effort by
driving investigations with a focus on root cause identification,
working with the Catering Operations department on preventative actions
- Conduct routine traceability and mock
recalls to ensure that the systems are robust
- Investigate customer and consumer
complaints to identify root cause
- Develop, implement and ensure compliance
with the Catering Plant Food Safety Plan.
- Lead the cross functional food safety
team to ensure that all changes being made in the operation that may
impact the food safety program are adequately whetted prior to
implementation. Ensure all documentation is updated to ensure the change
is executed well
- Other food safety related duties as
assigned by the Food Safety Manager
- BS Degree in Microbiology, Food Science,
Food engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years in Food safety and Quality
Assurance within food production environment.
- Knowledge of FDA/FSMA and USDA
requirements for food production facilities. Knowledge of food microbiology,
food safety and food defense. Knowledge of the FDA Retail Code.
Knowledge of product traceability and recall management.
- Strong oral and written communication
skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with
personnel, customers, suppliers and other business contacts.
- Attention to details
- Strategic/Big Picture Thinking
- Working with frontline employees and
leaders across the operations
- HACCP Certification
- PCQI Qualification
- Must be willing and able to travel
- Working in cool areas - 35F and less
- Walking and standing for extended periods
- Must be able to lift at least 55 lbs safely
- English and Bilingual English / Spanish
is a plus
- Knowledge of airline experience and
- GFSI knowledge
- Previous experience with SQF, ServSafe, FSPCA, and FDA/USDA audits.
Equal Opportunity Employer –