Scientist - Raw Material Food Safety
Full Job Description
Principal Scientist - Raw Material Food Safety
The purpose of the role is to create, deploy and lead the Food Safety Raw
Material Management Program across the PNNA Region, enabling delivery of the
Petcare OGSM focus on Transforming Growth. The role ensures through the
availability, visibility and review of Metrics, Strategic Roadmaps, Knowledge
Management and Competencies Development that there is identification and
delivery of Continuous Improvement opportunities regarding raw material food
safety, including but not limited to HRCI, Mycotoxin, Blue Ingredients,
Inbound Verification Testing and Factory Labs. The position will be the
liaison with Global Q&FS for Technical Standards development relating to
Raw Material Risks, while being the Regional Q&FS representative for MRA,
Specification and Testing Plan programs, collaborating to resolve raw
material food safety related technical challenges, and ensuring a robust
materials improvement strategy aligned with the Petcare OGSM.
What are we looking for?
- A BS degree in Chemistry, Food Science,
Engineering or related technical field is required; an advanced degree
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in a
technical area such as Toxicology, Nutrition, Raw Material Development,
or Supplier Quality with a focus on raw materials and related raw
- Experience effectively driving change and
accomplishing goals through others.
- 2-3 years of operational experience in
factories, working with current Q&FS Standards.
- Knowledge of industry practices and
challenges in the Pet Food raw material space.
- Knowledge of regulatory and food law,
including AAFCO Guidelines
- Process oriented, with a strong
understanding of Petfood and Food Processing
- Demonstrated ability to work
collaboratively with other functions, especially Supply, Commercial and
- Demonstrated knowledge of Raw Material
Risk Management regarding Mycotoxins, HRCI and Blue Ingredients
- Strong Project & Change Management
- Lead auditor certified with significant
- Knowledge and understanding of Lab
practices and test methods
- Understanding of Mars Inc. Q&FS
standards, especially those relevant to Petcare and Material Quality Management
- IT systems experience (eg SAP, Nexus , LIMS)
- Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong oral and written communication
- Strong risk mitigation and management
What would your key responsibilities be?
- Supports the Petcare OGSM by
strategically aligning the Food Safety Raw Materials Management Program
to deliver expected outcomes. Providing solution identification to
utilize systems to enable closure of compliance gaps as needed.
Influencing and securing support to acquire necessary resources to
implement preferred solutions.
- Responsible for creating and deploying
Program Management for Raw Material Food Safety. Includes coordinating,
collaborating and leading the Raw Material Program team through risk assessments,
implementation improvement plans, troubleshooting and influencing for
resources to ensure delivery of Program Roadmaps to Q&FS standards
applicable to the NAPC manufacturing network.
- Provides direction, leadership and/or
influence for the development, implementation and continuous improvement
of all Raw Material related Q&FS Standards, working with global
partners to build consistency in program implementation.
- Functions as Regional Q&FS
SME/technical source of expertise and primary point of contact in PNNA
on HRCI, Mould & Mycotoxin, Blue
Ingredients, Factory Labs and Raw Material food safety risks to support
compliance to QMP and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in the PNNA Technical Audit
program as the technical source for HRCI, Mould
& Mycotoxin, Blue Ingredients, Factory Labs and MQM.
- Member of the Global Petcare Mycotoxin
COP and Global Petcare Factory Lab COP. Provide Q&FS consult to the
Regional MRA team and manufacturing sites. A Q&FS approver of MRAs,
Raw Material Specifications and Raw Material Inbound Inspection plans.
- Work closely with strategic partners in
Supply, Material Development, Commercial and externally to ensure Raw
Material food safety, continuous improvement, compliance and technical
support for all processes impacting the manufacturing sites and the BU.
- Coordinate the site laboratory
proficiency program to ensure technically valid results. Liaise with MGS
Regional labs for proficiency, address corrective actions based on
output of that program.
- Create and execute a MPCNA network wide
strategic CAB plan to resource appropriate testing capability and
equipment to verify raw materials quality and food safety.
- Partner with Central Q&FS Capability
& Training Manager to define the associate technical skillset needed
to ensure competency for delivery of the Food Safety Raw Material
Program to the highest level.
- Q&FS Regional responsibility for
reviewing and approving Cleaning & Sanitizing Chemicals and
approving Pesticide chemistries and usage, with appropriate
- Provide technical leadership related to
Raw Material Food Safety during site or BU related crisis management.
- Horizon scanning for emerging
technologies and/or application of technology to Lab capabilities,
Mycotoxin Management and mitigation of raw material food safety risks.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and
take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of
- The opportunity to work cross
functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to