Technologist - Seattle, WA 98107
Trident Seafoods Corporation
Summary: The Food Technologist will work with world-class Food
Scientists developing new product formulations and improvements to existing
products. This individual will be part of the Research and Development team
working with other food technologists, scientist, and a culinary team
specializing in Alaskan Seafood. This role is heavily focused on product
development in related areas and shares related work experience and
problem-solving ideas in a collaborative team environment. They are
responsible for collaborating with project teams on prototype development
through full commercialization and finalizing product attributes and
specifications following successful commercialization.
- Initiates, produces and supplies existing
or prototype product samples designed to meet target account needs.
Drafts provisional specifications on prototype products prepared for
target customer sampling.
- Participates and provides guidance in
bench top research and evaluation of new ingredients and product
formulations, planning lab experiments, shelf life testing and
- Evaluates feasibility of various
ingredient/recipe components in terms of functionality, formula and
availability of company manufacturing, acceptability to target
customer/geographic region of account, cost verification and Trident
- Ensures new ingredient opportunities are
properly vetted and approved prior to preparing customer samples
- Prepares and ships out hand samples of
new products for internal and external sampling/ evaluation.
- Contributes to New Product Development
(NPD) and creative exploration.
- Designs methods to improve ingredient
qualities and food production in areas of flavor, color, texture,
nutritional value, convenience, and/or physical, chemical, and
microbiological composition of foods.
- Compiles and records testing data and
charts for ingredient performance, production test information/ summary
and on-going projects.
- Creates R&D preliminary processing
spec and documents all tests (lab and plant trials) results. Assists PLM
team (regulatory department) on product audits when necessary.
- Participates in sensory evaluations,
product cuttings / presentations to various vendors and customer groups
introducing or re-acquainting them to specific products, ingredient
features, benefits, requirements and application techniques. Retains
adequate supply of 1st production samples and bench control for cook
validation, product cuttings, shelf-life tests etc.
- Follows internal BRC procedures,
including cooking instructions validation, thermometer calibration,
shelf life testing and record keeping.
- Participates with FSQA in the development
of new product food standards, safety and sanitary regulations.
- Adheres to basic health department food
handling and safety requirements i.e. proper storage of raw foods,
personal handwashing and hygiene, food preparation area sanitizing,
opening and closing procedure.
- Must be able to travel freely between the
workplace and other Trident processing facilities. Occasional travel to
customers located throughout targeted regions is expected.
- Participates in regular operational
safety training and meetings.
- Performs other similar or related duties
as requested or assigned.
- Annual performance self-evaluation and
- Expected to act as R&D safety officer
on occasion, preparing weekly safety audits and ensuring proper daily
kitchen closure procedures
- Acquires knowledge of Tridentís
Environmental and Safety Policies by completing required training
programs and performing designated work activities in accordance with
training and procedures/work instructions
- Notifies designated personnel of any
environmental or safety incidents or risks not previously documented, in
accordance with Environmental Awareness and/or safety trainings
- Masters or bachelorís degree in food
science or closely related field, or equivalent job experience in food
manufacturing and R&D.
- General understanding of food laws and
- Abilities in mathematics, scientific
weights, and measurements.
- Ability to read and interpret documents,
such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
- Ability to write routine reports and
- Speak in public and interact at a
technical level with internal and external customers and industry peers.
- Proficient in MS Office, PowerPoint,
Database Management and other computer applications to access
information, analyze data and solve problems.
- Effectively organize, plan and execute.
- Self-directed with minimal supervision.
Trident Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age
and genetic information.
Trident Seafoods has adopted a zero-tolerance and drug-free workplace
policy. Pre-employment drug examinations are required for all employees.
Any employment offer from Trident Seafoods is contingent upon the
candidate maintaining valid immigration status and work authorization throughout
employment, without any need for immigration sponsorship by the company.