The comprehensive food
safety information website
Food Scientist - TerraVia
NUTRITIONALS | SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA
TerraVia™ is a next-generation food, nutrition and specialty ingredients company that harnesses the power of algae, the mother of all plants and earth's original superfood, to deliver much needed innovation and sustainable solutions to the food industry. TerraVia's algae-based platform is transforming our food system by bringing together better nutrition and great taste, along with economic and environmental sustainability. The company has spent over a decade unlocking the power of algae to find and develop vital food, nutrition, and specialty ingredients: healthy oils and fats, proteins, fibers and micronutrients. TerraVia is well positioned to help meet the growing need of consumer packaged goods, and established and emerging food manufacturers to improve the nutritional profile of foods, without sacrificing taste.
TerraVia also manufactures a range of specialty personal care ingredients for key strategic partners. Headquartered in South San Francisco, the Company's mission is to create products that are truly better for people and better for the planet.
TerraVia is seeking to add key members to its AlgaVia™ Food Ingredients team. The Food Scientist will lead and support the design and execution of product development, customer support and applied research projects. The successful candidate will have the ability, desire and motivation to integrate his/her skill set into a dynamic organization that includes pioneering metabolic engineering and large-scale manufacturing of microalgae. A result driven, action oriented and detailed person who is good at relationship building and persuasion will thrive in this environment.
· Lead and Support the design and execution of product development, customer support and applied research.
· Conduct product development programs to characterize and demonstrate the functionality, optimize the sensory properties, and determine the value of the ingredients in food and beverage products.
· Develop new food and beverage product concepts around TerraVia's ingredient portfolio.
· Help to coordinate the activity of critical internal and external resources.
· Provide technical support for commercialization by preparing promotional materials as well as developing and presenting product concepts to potential partners and customers.
· Help to establish specifications for new products in conjunction with the process development, manufacturing, and commercial teams.
· Work collaboratively with prospective partners and customers (telephone support, bench work, on-site support, etc.) to develop opportunities for product sales.
· Assist in the sourcing of equipment and ingredients needed for the process development and food applications laboratories.
· Analyze food and beverage prototypes by using basic food lab equipment and help in developing specifications.
· Develop nutrition fact panel and ingredient statements by using softwares like Genesis.
· Perform other related activities necessary to achieve sales through effective applications development work.
· Develop industry relationships and network within professional organizations like IFT.
· Work with assigned teams to understand project/market needs, define shared work plans and gain support/input throughout project timeline.
· MS/Ph.D. in Food Science, Chemistry, Engineering, or related discipline preferred
· 5+ years of experience in food related R&D preferred
· Diversified and broad food product development experience from initial prototype through consumer validation to commercialization.
· Thrives in a dynamic and challenging, entrepreneurial, multi-cultural environment.
· Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
· Excellent work ethic, dedication, and team orientation.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively in both technical and nontechnical settings
· Strong relationships in the food industry
· Excellent team player and strong sense of individual accountability
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple commitments and to drive numerous, complex projects simultaneously
· Excellent knowledge of common food processes, food ingredient functionality and ingredient interactions.
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via terravia.com/#careers. No other forms of application will be accepted.
TerraVia is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
TerraVia provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the TerraVia Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com