Quality & Food Safety
Technologist - San Bernardino, CA
Date: Oct 10, 2016
Requisition Number: 84432
mutually rewarding experience.
Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than
just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we
offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take
what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and
for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You
get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best
possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as
getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and
driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and
it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s
about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to
pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being
prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a
little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars
such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than
just a job.
has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments
including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food,
Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000
Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a
difference for people and the planet through its performance.
brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®,
WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®;
Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and
TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES®
and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE
BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks –
ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title: Quality & Food Safety Technologist
Reports To: Quality & Food
Job Location: San Bernardino, CA
Level of Role
Number of Reports
Purpose of this Role
This position is responsible for developing and implementing innovative
solutions to site based quality and food safety systems to ensure operational
conformance to consumer and customer expectations.
As a site based R&D resource, this position requires working closely with
supply, maintenance, engineering, logistics, central and global quality, food
safety & distribution systems specialists and regulatory affairs to
identify opportunities to improve product quality, systems and safety.
This position is also responsible for acquiring and understanding the
advancement of global petfood processes and
auditing techniques to drive appropriate innovations for the site.
As a Quality & Food Safety associate who represents the R&D and the business,
the jobholder must possess a high degree of initiative, responsibility, work
ethic, and flexibility. The associate must be willing to involve himself / herself in any aspect that relates to our
company's products or activities, even if such aspect is not directly related
to other parts of this job description.
• Facilitate and document site based hold management systems (SPEDE/PRMS
and Nexus NC), requirements and procedures including product disposition and
destruction in accordance with Mars Quality and Food Safety Standards
• Facilitate/lead plant microbiology testing program including data
analysis, trending, reporting and recommendations.
• Facilitate and document Risk Assessment process for all new
commodities, equipment, processes, etc. in accordance with Mars regulatory
• Food Safety Representative for site HACCP Team.
• Facilitate site based audit program for quality systems compliance,
pest control, product traceability and food safety in accordance with Mars
Inc. Quality and Foods Safety Standards and FDA regulations
• Facilitate site based quality systems to assess compliance to
published product and process specifications
• Maintain site Statistical Process Control systems including deviation
reporting and recommendations. Design, develop and implement site based
programs to trend, report and address consumer feedback information
• Maintain current formula/recipe database system and verify new recipe
accuracy prior to implementation. Approves and communicates appropriate
CRC's (controlled recipe Changes)
• Design, develop and provide quality systems training and education
programs for site based associates.
• Assist in facilitating site document and record control, and
corrective & preventative action programs.
Mission Critical Competencies
• Functional/technical skills
• Conflict management
• Creates collaborative relationships
• Priority Setting
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
• Knowledge of the Windows working environment including Word, Excel,
• Strong background in math and computers; working knowledge of
• Basic understanding of site accounting and financial systems
• Proven application of engineering principles, laboratory
methodologies, food science, statistics, and quality tools.
• Strong oral, listening, and written communication skills in order to
communicate with all levels of the organization
• Strong project management and planning skills with proven ability to
manage numerous projects simultaneously.
• Strong interpersonal communication and leadership skills, and the
ability to effectively negotiate, influence, and persuade.
• Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence, motivate,
and lead a team.
• Building and sustaining relationships to ensure a strong team
• Strong decision making skills and prioritization skills.
• Ability to work independently without supervision as well as within a
• Attention to detail required when working with scientific data and
• Able to travel up to 10%.
• Ability to work different schedules as needed for testing and
• Ability to work in a pet food factory environment with noise, raw
meats, automated machinery etc.
• Physical requirements: Sufficient mobility, strength, flexibility,
hearing, and sight to access all job relevant areas of warehouse in a high
forklift traffic environment and perform routine activities as necessary to
deliver required results. Some pushing/pulling, bending/stooping, and lifting
(up to 50 lbs.) necessary.
• Food Science, engineering, biological sciences, chemistry, or
equivalent Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Working knowledge of petfood processing and packaging
• Ability and aptitude to work in an R&D, Manufacturing, and/or
• Understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's), Good Laboratory
Practices (GLP's), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Systems (HACCP),
ISO, Regulatory Guidelines, Sensory, and/or Microbiology
• 1 year experience in a Quality, Food Safety, Regulatory Services, or
Engineering area preferred.
is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation
during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon
request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant
will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Secondary Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Engineer, Database, Maintenance
Engineer, Data Analyst, Project Manager, Engineering, Technology, Data