The comprehensive food
safety information website
Product Development Engineer (2761)
Req ID 2761 - Posted 10/20/2016 - Reynolds Innovations Inc - Research & Development - Winston-Salem, NC
American Incorporated (NYSE: RAI) is positively transforming the tobacco
industry. We’re a family of companies that strives for success in everything
we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the
breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy
tobacco in the 21st century.
position will work on the development of vapor products, also known as e-cigarettes
or Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS). ENDS products are
electro-mechanical consumer devices that produce vapor from e-liquids.
Design of ENDS products require integrated systems engineering from a team of
multiple engineering disciplines (electrical, mechanical, software, chemical,
and materials engineering). Product Development Engineers work with a team in
the understanding of current ENDS products and development of future ENDS
products. RAII intends to be the leader in this category of products.
This position will report to a Director in Innovations Product Development and will work with others on this team to drive continuous improvement in current products and in designing and developing new products.
Accountabilities/Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for technical assignments that further develop engineering skills.
· Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using good judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
· Refine Marketing and R&D concepts and utilize innovative engineering techniques to develop product solutions that will translate these concepts into commercial manufacturing reality.
· Lead product development activities including concept development, feasibility analysis, scope definition, cost estimating, specification and drawing development, prototype evaluation, product risk/hazard review, vendor evaluation, resource allocation, development of manufacturing options, transition and commercialization testing, and implementation.
· Lead assignments that have clear and specified objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables. Assistance will be provided on unusual problems from senior technical staff and work will be reviewed for application of sound professional judgment.
· May lead or coordinate the work of others.
· Identify and develop expertise in new technologies that can be utilized internally for development of innovative new products or packaging to the marketplace.
· Identify and partner with external suppliers, vendors, and engineering service providers to develop new product and packaging solutions.
· Provide technical product support during the start-up and qualification of new equipment, processes, vendors, and suppliers.
· Drive continuous process improvement through the ability to recognize unnecessary complexities and process gaps, and proactively drive implementation of strategies to execute effective solutions
Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) school in a relevant discipline (Chemical, Electrical, Materials, Mechanical, or other disciplines may be accepted based on experience).
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn application specific software for Product Data Management (PDM)
· Excellent project management, time management, team collaboration, and organizational skills
· Ability to engage with stakeholders and external partners
· Ability to actively participate in a Team-based environment and collaboratively work in cross functional teams
· Ability to quickly develop credibility and begin influencing within an organization
· Ability to work and thrive in an environment of uncertainty, ability to quickly adapt to change
· Excellent people and communication skills
· Ability to travel internationally
Relevant Experience and Preferred Skills:
· SolidWorks or other CAD experience
· Risk/Hazards Assessment, FMEA, FMECA, HACCP, Validation, or other assessment tools/methods
· Quality Systems, statistical methods for data analysis
· Prior consumer product development or manufacturing experience
· Work in a FDA regulated environment (food, drug, device, tobacco)
· Relevant experience may include;
o Electrical circuit and component design, analysis, and evaluation
o Lithium-ion batteries
o Design of injected molded plastic parts
o Die cut and machined small metal parts
o Small device assembly
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
· Ability to work and make decisions with minimal supervision
· Ability to develop and drive key strategies
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills of dependability and credibility
· Effectively communicate with peers and management
· Broad engineering expertise to design and commercialize complex electro-mechanical ENDS products
· Ability to drive collaborative efforts cross-functionally
· Competitive Annual Salary
· Targeted Annual Bonus
· Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
· 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
· Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
· Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
· Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
· Confidential personal financial counseling service
· On-site health clinics and fitness centers
· A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
· Health-care advocacy service
· Volunteer service opportunities
· Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
· Extensive training opportunities
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE: RAI) is the parent company of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; American Snuff Company, LLC; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB; and R.J. Reynolds Vapor Company.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org