of Quality Assurance and Organic Certifications
Dave's Killer Bread 4 reviews - Milwaukie, OR
Employee Classification: Regular Full Time
Reports To: Plant President
Job Summary: The individual in this position is
responsible for the overall food safety and product quality programs for
the organization and will operate under strict QMS/TQM guidelines. This
includes auditing and monitoring plant processes to verify that the plant
is in compliance with all food safety and mandatory quality systems
including a routine review of the plant product formulations, HACCP
program, GMP programs, allergen programs and quality systems. Coordinate
organic certification processes and programs for all organic baking
1. Ensure that the facility and all contractors/vendors
are in compliance with all federal, state and local regulations pertaining
to food safety and quality.
2. Review product formulations to assure alignment with
current nutrition labeling information.
3. Initiate annual plant mock traceability/recall
4. Review, update and maintain plant Quality and Food
Safety Program, HACCP Program, Recall Program, GMP policies, Allergan
Program, vendor ingredient specifications including organic and kosher
5. Provide insight for internal and external (customer
specific) finished product specifications.
6. Oversee the submission and maintenance of
documentation as required for Nutritional Labeling Program.
7. Lead corrective action process related to quality
and food safety programs, consumer concerns, and facility audits.
8. Maintain compliance and documentation associated
with food safety such as proper record keeping for Bioterrorism
Preparedness and Response Act of 2002.
9. Assist with development of training and training
materials for authorized partner-employees regarding product safety and
10. Responsible for maintaining and increasing
regulatory and compliance knowledge and credentials.
11. As a trusted leader, responsible for carrying out
responsibilities in accordance with company policies and procedures for
interviewing, hiring, training partners, planning, assigning, directing,
evaluating performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, and
addressing partner complaints and issues.
12. Routinely work with cross-functional groups such as
Production, R&D, Contract Manufacturing and Maintenance to establish
and achieve business objectives.
13. Communicate with bakery management and provide
accurate information in a timely manner.
14. Develop personal growth plans for each direct
report and assist in building a World Class team foundation.
15. Lead and maintain the organic division
16. Responsible for supporting the development,
implementation and continuous improvement of the food safety management
system and providing adequate resources.
17. Ensure all food safety policies and procedures are
18. Responsible for reporting food safety issues.
19. Responsible for developing people to enhance
succession planning and career roadmaps.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. College degree or equivalent experience in food
science, biology, chemistry or related fields preferred.
2. Minimum of five years in food manufacturing,
including two years of food QA experience, preferably as a supervisor.
3. Prior experience as a supervisor or lead food safety
4. Knowledgeable in FDA, USDA, EPA and GMP guidelines
for food manufacturing facilities.
5. Must have a strong understanding of food safety,
HACCP, GMP, sanitary design/controls, pest control, food
regulations/specifications, and food technology.
6. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
7. Must demonstrate strong leadership skills.
8. Ability to interact and communicate with partners at
all levels of the organization.
9. Strong understanding of scientific method.
10. Ability to understand production schedules.
11. Proficiency in MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
12. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
13. Experience writing procedures.
14. Ability to keep accurate records.
15. Ability to research, develop,
implement and monitor documented procedures and standards.
16. Strong time management skills.
17. Ability to work independently.
18. Strong math skills.
19. Ability to communicate and understand instructions
Working Conditions/Physical Factors:
1. Worker exposed to temperatures above 100 degrees for
periods of more than one hour. More extreme temperatures possible during
2. Worker exposed to a loud working environment.
3. Worker exposed to hazards in the work place such as
close proximity to equipment conducting extreme heat, moving parts, and
4. Must be able to work in environment containing flour
dust and other allergens (nuts, milk, wheat, etc.).
5. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
6. Must be able to ascend and descend building
stairways and ramps to reach job assignments and perform job tasks.
7. Position requires frequent sitting for periods of
time as well as standing, reaching, walking, lifting, grasping, bending and
8. Must be capable of understanding work instructions
in English, both oral and written.
Other Duties as Assigned
This job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
that are required of the employee.