Food Safety Manager - Licensed Retail
This individual contributor role will be the lead professional to direct
Save-A-Lot’s (SAL) program to monitor and ensure that the food safety and
sanitation at its Licensee operations comply with established SAL Licensee
Program standards, laws, regulations, policies and procedures. This
individual will also take a lead role in establishing and communicating
such Licensee Program standards.
• Direct the food safety and store sanitation inspection efforts for SAL’s
licensed operations to maintain store compliance with SAL’s Licensee
Program requirements and Federal, State and local health regulations.
• Lead the effort to create and communicate SAL’s Licensee program
standards for food safety and store sanitation.
• Develop reporting of inspection results to SAL Executive management and
the management of the licensed operations.
• Act as food safety and store sanitation consultant for licensee stores.
Coach and train to correct deficiencies. Follow up to ensure corrective
action takes place.
• Coordinate with those responsible for food safety at SAL’s corporate
retail stores to ensure consistency between the food safety and sanitation
inspections of both corporate and licensed stores.
• Supervise the activities of chemical sanitation vendors and third party
auditors that will be required to inspect each of SAL‘s 900+ Licensed
stores each quarter, to assure effective and efficient programs are
maintained for all licensed locations.
• Monitor quality of results from providers and implement plans where
correction is needed.
• Conduct joint surveys/visits with third party sanitation provider to
foster partnership and consistency.
• Coordinating with SAL’s recall coordinator position to ensure that all
recalls are properly executed at retail licensed store locations.
• Provide food safety and sanitation training to SAL’s licensed operators.
• Oversee tracking of SAL Licensee food safety audits, training, etc.
Determine need for additional training based on results and a variety of
• Develop and communicate regular food safety and sanitation messages to
foster continuous improvement.
• Maintain channels of communication, encouraging Licensees to express
ideas, suggestions and complaints. Develop methods to address quickly and
Education, Certification, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree in food science, or equivalent desired with five (5) or
more years’ experience or education in food handling, sanitation, or public
• Familiarity with retail grocery operations and food preparation
• Must possess leadership ability to influence others to achieve desired results.
Deal effectively with a wide variety of people on a daily basis. Must build
support for programs and influence leaders to excel in food safety
• Strong analytical skills required for data interpretation and analysis.
Computer skills in word-processing and spread sheet software preferred.
• Possess excellent communication skills, including verbal and written plus
the ability to speak effectively before groups. Must be able to interface
effectively with a wide variety of personnel. Possess ability to
communicate concepts, systems, procedures, etc., in a training environment.
• Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment.
• Up to 20% travel
• Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
• Ability to work in refrigerated areas.
• Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone, and other office
equipment in the course of normal workday.
• Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion
of job duties.
The above statements are
intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by the
employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company
policy and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified may vary within each department and/or location.