Food Scientist, Senior - IL-Elgin
information about this job:
position is responsible for hands-on, day-to-day new product development,
product optimization and cost optimization activities across all JBSS
business channels and all JBSS product categories. This position will
play a key role in fulfilling the numerous sample requests that R&D
receives as well as the various innovation projects that R&D is
assigned. The individual in this role will also be assigned key
customer relationships and will serve as the JBSS technical liaison to these
- Collaboration with internal
(Marketing, Sales) and external customers on new item, innovation
projects, and sample requests – to ensure objectives are being addressed
clearly, efficiently, and on-time.
- Creatively leverages external
suppliers for necessary new raw materials, flavors, and resources such
as sensory evaluation.
- Works with internal resources
(R&D team, Production, Accounting, Procurement, etc.) to develop
innovative and on-trend formulas that are compatible with JBSS
- Integrates into JBSS production
– works with schedulers, supervisors, operators, packaging, QA, etc. to
scale-up and commercialize products.
- Documents raw material and
finished good specifications and integration into JBSS systems..
- Develops draft ingredient
statements and NLEA panels.
- Collaborates with Technical
Services on allergen, Kosher, labeling,
specification and claims issues.
- Documents JBSS processes and
procedures. Updates and maintains R&D records.
- Collaborates with Procurement
and Production on cost optimization projects.
- Participates in JBSS SVA
- Manages multiple simultaneous
requests and priorities.
- Responsible for manufacturing,
distributing and consistently maintaining safe and quality food by
following good manufacturing practices, allergen controls, food defense,
HACCP and SQF requirements.
- Responsible for immediately
reporting all food safety and quality issues to your
- Responsible for partnering with
others; Sharing knowledge, skills and information within your team and
across functional areas.
- Responsible for enhancing
technical and functional competencies, as well as professional and
- Bachelor of Science Degree in
- Four to six years
experience in the food industry working in R&D and/or product
- Proven track record of culinary
and technical innovation with food or beverage products is
- Experience in regulatory is
essential, and experience with Product Vision software is highly
- Proficiency with Microsoft
Office applications required.
- Excellent communication and
cross-functional teamwork skills are a must.
Job Specific Requirements:
the event that the Sr. Food Scientist is absent, the Department
Manager is responsible for providing an equally qualified person to cover