Food Safety Compliance & Sanitation Specialist - Robinson, IL
The Hershey Company
This position has direct
reports and is responsible for coordinating efforts to achieve and maintain
Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification and compliance with
Hershey’s Product Excellence Program (PEP).
This position is responsible
for developing and maintaining policies/procedures pertaining to product
safety, quality and sanitation. This role oversees the sanitation
program to ensure compliance and proper execution in accordance with food
safety and personnel safety corporate standards, HACCP principles, GFSI
standards as well as local and state regulations, in order to maintain a
visibly clean, audit ready environment for food production. Recommends and
secures the appropriate resources and time to assure a sanitary environment
This position will
primarily work 1st shift, but work schedule flexibility is required to
support a 24/7 manufacturing operation.
- Lead the development, implementation, review, and
maintenance of the plant’s food safety/food quality program to assure
compliance with The Hershey Company’s Product Excellence Program and
Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards.
- Complete required internal assessments &
audits, develop corrective/preventive actions, and complete required
validation and verifications of the system.
- Acts as in house expert and primary interface with
regulatory agencies, corporate and other third party audits.
- Manage Sanitation employees work schedule and
- Manage departmental financial responsibilities for
sanitation including developing budget and cost controls
- Manage and enhance Master Sanitation Schedule and
Environmental Microbiology Monitoring Program.
- Lead verification, monitoring, and validation of
the sanitation related programs.
- Develop and report sanitation KPIs.
- Conduct audits and review results to interpret
data trends, develop corrective and preventive action solutions
collaboratively with manufacturing.
- Identify and develop sanitary design solutions
working with Microbiology, Engineering and/or Maintenance teams.
- Serve as a technical resource for Manufacturing
and Engineering along with providing leadership, and guidance, in the
areas of sanitation, weight control, packaging, incident investigation
and resolution, troubleshooting and other related matters.
- Assure employee ownership of programs by developing
and communicating essential information related to food safety, food
quality and sanitation to all employees including management and line
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to
successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Ability to communicate technical and non-technical
information to various levels
- Ability to interact effectively with third party
and internal auditors
- Ability to foster an environment where innovation
and cooperation are used to solve problems
- Ability to influence management & enable the
activities of employee teams
- Strong working knowledge of QA principles
- Knowledge of federal and state food industry
regulations including Food Safety Modernization Act
- Understanding of sanitation and pest control
- Strong understanding of GFSI standards
- Strong computer and document management skills
- Strong documentation skills and attention to
- Strong auditing/assessment skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing operations
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- B.S. in Food Science, Microbiology, or related
- Preferred certifications include Safe Quality Food
(SQF) Practitioner, Preventive Controls Qualified Individual certification,
- Six Sigma certification preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years of related experience
The Hershey Company is
an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend
opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis
regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin,
religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability,
protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other
categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is
an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans