Taipei, Feb. 5 (CNA) The Council of Agriculture
(COA) said Thursday that it has continued to recall a batch of tainted
pet food that recently caused the deaths of a large number of dogs.
Hsu Tien-lai, director of the COA's Department of Animal Husbandry, said stray dog
shelters in Taipei and Kaohsiung counties reported that around
400 dogs have died since early January after eating dog food contaminated
All the tainted dog food was supplied by a Yunlin County-based company, Jitai
Feed, that allegedly used aflatoxin-contaminated
corn from Pakistan
in its production process.
Aflatoxin is produced by mold and can cause fatal liver
Hsu said the department last year checked 150 samples of
retail pet food, including some from Jitai
Feed, all of which showed levels of aflatoxin
below the specified acceptable 20 ppm limit.
However, a large number of dogs died earlier this year in Taipei County and the COA found that all
of them had been fed from the batch of pet food produced by Jitai between October and November using the
Pakistani corn as one of its ingredients.
Since the deaths, the COA has asked local governments to
recall the pet food produced by Jitai during
In addition, the COA also asked local governments and
relevant agencies to conduct comprehensive checks on pet foods sold in
their localities, Hsu said.
He added that all 106 samples of pet food tested this year
-- 94 dog food and 12 cat food samples -- had aflatoxin
content within the acceptable limit.
Some 300 dogs died at two animal shelters in Taipei County
in early January, while another 100 perished at a shelter in Kaohsiung County during the recent Chinese
New Year holiday after eating the contaminated dog food.
(By Lilian Wu)