Dead Birds Found Across State Prompt Bird Food Recall
Source of Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29622251/
updated 12:49 p.m. PT, Wed., March. 11, 2009
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Several dead wild birds found across North Carolina have tested positive for salmonella, prompting an investigation that lead to the recall of a wild bird food, the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said Tuesday afternoon.
Kentucky-based Burkmann Feeds said it was recalling its Wild Birds Unlimited Wildlife Blend after tests conducted by the NCDA&CS revealed the presence of salmonella bacteria.
“We are pleased that the testing has enabled us to remove contaminated feed from the market,” Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler said. “Food safety is a No. 1 priority for this department, for both humans and animals.”
People handling contaminated wild bird food can become infected with salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to