blamed for botulism in food
of Article: http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/04/02/bus_516850.shtml
Sandy Hodson and Tim Rausch| Staff Writers
Thursday, April 02, 2009
The company running the Castleberry's
plant when botulism toxin was found in its food products has filed suit
against the manufacturer of its sterilization equipment.
Bumble Bee Foods filed the federal lawsuit in Augusta
against Malo Inc. and Massmann Enterprises last week. Bumble Bee contends
the toxic outbreak was caused by the companies' negligent design and
Bumble Bee managed Castleberry's 15th Street plant
for the Connors Bros. Income Fund. It sold the rights to make Castleberry's
products to another company, which closed the Augusta plant in November.
Castleberry's had supplied jobs to area residents for
82 years. When the doors shut in November, 325 people lost employment.
The plant was shut down for two months in the summer of
2007 after the Centers for Disease Control said botulism toxin from its
chili sauce sickened people in three states. The resulting recall would
cost the company more than $38 million.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said the
botulism toxin resulted from poor maintenance on two cookers and inadequate
In the lawsuit, Bumble Bee blames Malo and Massman,
contending that a design flaw disguised a leaking valve in the
From the Thursday, April 02, 2009 edition of the