THE food poisoning scare that claimed the life of a 57-year-old woman on Monday morning, has left another very ill in hospital.
According to a Ministry of Health statement sent late on Monday, a 59-year-old woman is 'currently critically ill in hospital' after consuming food from Rojak Geylang Serai, a stall that sells Indian rojak.
MOH also said that to date, a total of 111 cases have been brought to its attention. Of these, 27 were hospitalised, while 84 received outpatient treatment at various Emergency Departments.
Those affected by the food poisoning fell ill between April 2 and 4.
The main symptoms experienced by the group include severe abdominal cramps, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Preliminary investigations pointed to an association between their illness and the consumption of food purchased from Stall No. 320 at Geylang Serai Temporary Market.
Earlier on Monday, canteen assistant Aminah Samijo died after slipping into a coma. She came down with severe food poisoning after a meal at the Rojak Geylang Serai stall last Friday.
Police have classified the case as one of unnatural death and are investigating.
A pregnant woman who had eaten rojak bought from the came down with severe diarrhoea on Friday evening and later suffered a miscarriage.
MOH and National Environment Agency (NEA) are looking into the food poisoning incident.
On Saturday, the two agencies conducted joint inspections at the food stall, which has since been closed.
The stallholder and his assistant have been directed by MOH to undergo screening for food-borne pathogens at the Communicable Disease Centre.
NEA has ordered the operator to cease all business operations while MOH carries out its investigations. Epidemiological investigations are continuing.
As a precautionary measure, NEA has also conducted a hygiene inspection of all stalls at the centre and found them to be satisfactory.
The stallholders have been advised to maintain a high standard of food and personal hygiene.
Members of the public are advised to discard any unconsumed food items purchased from Rojak Geylang Serai stall.
Anyone who has patronised the stall and is experiencing symptoms of food poisoning should seek immediate medical attention.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org