owners fined $15,000 for E. coli outbreak
of Article: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1519809
Posted By KARENA WALTER
, STANDARD STAFF
2 days ago
co-owners of a St. Catharines restaurant linked to a 2007 E. coli
outbreak have been fined $7,500 each for selling food that made customers
A justice of the peace
recently found Mahmoud Asaad and Senan Daoud guilty of a total 10 counts
-- five counts each -- of selling food unfit for human consumption. The
charges relate to five customers who ate at Yaman Restaurant on Merritt
Street in May 2007.
The problems started
when Asaad and Daoud run their business on May 19, 2007, despite the fact
water to the restaurant was cut off due to a water-main break.
The restaurant was shut
down by the Region that month after several people got sick, but reopened
with a clean bill of health in August that year.
Each restaurant owner
was fined $1,000 for each of four victims and another $2,000 for the
Mickey Cruickshank said the fifth person's symptoms were very severe and
she spent a lot of time in hospital, even being transferred to a hospital
Four additional charges
related to two other customers were dismissedThe owners also pleaded
guilty on March 4 to failing to provide hot and cold running water in the
food-preparation area of the restaurant. They were fined $1,500 each for
The total fines for the
pair were $15,000.
Asaad and Daoud didn't
call any evidence during their trial, which began on March 4 and er
several intermittent days in Welland.
Justice of the Peace
David Brown made his ruling on March 27.