Norwalk's Casa Fiesta sued over
of Article: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/articles/2009/07/07/front/1466197.txt
By MIKE FITZPATRICK | Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:40 AM
A man who claims he was
sick for eight days after eating steak at Casa Fiesta last April is suing
Mark Sanders suffered
"stomach pain, diarrhea, blood in his stool, pain in his legs, pain in
his arms and a general malaise," according to a lawsuit filed in Huron
Sanders alleges he ate at
the restaurant, located at 344 Milan Ave., Norwalk, with his fiance and
children. Sanders' fiance also became ill and suffered blurred vision as a
result, said Sanders' attorney, John D. Allton. She also filed suit against
Allton said his client
tried to settle with the restaurant out of court. When that failed, they
opted to sue.
Sanders was one of 36
individuals who contracted salmonella muenchen after eating at the
restaurant last April, according to the Huron County Health Department. The
number may actually have been higher, but 28 people who exhibited symptoms
consistent with salmonella muenchen after eating at Casa Fiesta during the
same time frame chose not to be tested for the bacteria.
The agent for Casa
Fiesta, identified in the filing as Gina Dougherty, did not return a call
Sanders was treated at
Fisher-Titus Medical Center and also evaluated by the Huron County Health
Department, according to the suit. Because he worked in the food service
industry, he had to find another job after he tested positive for
salmonella, even after he was symptom-free, said Allton.
He's asking for $2,639.47
in medical bills and $1,151.75 in lost wages, as well as damages that could
be in excess of $25,000.
problem was he couldn't get back to work," said Allton.
The suit claims Casa
Fiesta's negligence led to Sanders' illness.
of the Huron County Health Department indicates that the cause of the
contamination was either improper handling of food by the defendant's
employees, or their failure to properly wash their hands after using the
restroom," the suit states.