BLUEWATER: Restaurant fined after salmonella outbreak

Source of Article:  http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/4476867.BLUEWATER__Restaurant_fined_after_salmonella_outbreak/

 

8:30am Tuesday 7th July 2009

By Court reporter »


A RESTAURANT at Bluewater has been fined £21,000 after a salmonella outbreak caused serious sickness to diners.

Villa Pizza in the Greenhithe shopping centre was fined at Medway Magistrates’ Court last Tuesday (June 30) after admitting selling unsafe food.

The court heard that seven customers came down with food poisoning after eating at the restaurant in November 2006, with five having to be treated in hospital.

Dartford Council launched the prosecution after environmental health officers inspected the restaurant and found traces of the potentially fatal bacteria in a carbonara dish, with Spanish eggs found to be the source.

The court heard the restaurant had failed to take steps to ensure the eggs were properly sourced, or cook the carbonara mixture at an appropriate temperature.

Judge Michael Kelly ordered Villa Pizza to pay £16,000 costs.

After the hearing, Dartford Council’s portfolio holder for environmental health Councillor Steve Brown said the conviction showed “the importance of food safety procedures being applied".

 

 

Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com