UK: Ban for 'health risk' take-away

Source of Article:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/7533090.stm

 

A Falkirk restaurateur has been barred indefinitely from running any food-related business in the UK after posing a "persistent" risk to public health.

A prohibition order was placed on Sameena Shahid after food safety officers were forced to close her take-away three times in just 16 months.

In nine visits to the Almas Tandoori, inspection teams said they found a catalogue of serious hygiene failings.

Shahid is only the second person ever to be subject to the order in Scotland.

Derek Oliver, food and safety co-ordinator with Falkirk Council, said the "constant threat" to members of the public from the take-away in Falkirk's Graham's Road was "enormous".

This business posed a persistent risk to public health with a catalogue of contraventions that, whether in isolation or cumulatively, could have had serious consequences for its customers

Derek Oliver
Food Safety Coordinator

He added: "Officers were so concerned with this operation that the business was visited nine times in 16 months and closed three times.

"These were not minor matters that could be addressed by Ms Shahid in the longer term and assessed by officers at the next routine inspection.

"This business posed a persistent risk to public health with a catalogue of contraventions that, whether in isolation or cumulatively, could have had serious consequences for its customers.

"We worked tirelessly with Ms Shahid to help improve the safety of her business but every re-inspection would further indicate her complete disregard for public safety and her desire to place profit before public health."

'Repeated warnings'

Ms Shahid had a hygiene prohibition order imposed at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Tuesday under the Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations 2006 act.

Inspection teams at her restaurant found staff were inadequately supervised or trained and said there were inadequate arrangements for cleaning food.

Food storage practices were also found to be poor, as were the hygiene standards of staff.

Inspectors also said ready-to-eat food was at risk of bacterial cross contamination.

Charles MacDonald, Falkirk Council's convener of community health and safety, said: "Consumers have the right to be protected from business owners who consistently fail to meet acceptable hygiene standards.

"There has been a systematic failure in this case to pay attention to basic and fundamental food hygiene and despite repeated warnings, we were forced to take legal action in order to prevent potentially more serious consequences."

 

 

_______________________________________________________

Main Page

setstatsCopyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com