Tour operators should make sure they
protect holidaymakers from food poisoning, the widow of a man who died
after contracting salmonella has said.
Geoffrey Appleyard, 71, from Evesham in
Worcestershire, died in June 2008 after falling ill at the Grand Hotel in
Lake Garda, Italy.
A coroner has recorded a verdict of
misadventure and said Mr Appleyard died of salmonella poisoning.
The coroner added he contracted the
illness from food at the hotel.
Several other people had to be taken to
hospital after falling ill at the hotel.
After the inquest Jean Appleyard said
it was important the fact that salmonella played a part in her husband's
death had been recognised.
"We went to the Grand Hotel for a
luxury holiday," she said.
"It is simply appalling that we
fell ill and Geoffrey contracted something as serious as salmonella at a
hotel like that."
Tour operators have to ensure they are
doing everything they possibly can to make sure holidaymakers are protected
from outbreaks like that, she said.
At the time of Mr Appleyard's death
tour company Thomson said it was confident the outbreak was an isolated
The hotel was once a favourite
destination for Winston Churchill who would often sit and paint the lake.