UK: Restaurant owner fined after food safety investigation

10:20am Thu 16th Oct 08:: written by Antony Quarrell


Source of Article:

Rottting meat covered in flies was one discovery the council made at a restaurant which has landed the owner with a 6,500 fine.

Council food safety officers were called in to investigate Kerana Mu oriental restaurant in Windsor in August 2007 after a case of salmonella was reported.

Kin Leong, owner of the premises in Dedworth Road, was fined at a hearing at Maidenhead Magistrates' Court on Friday, October 10. 
He pleaded guilty to one charge of placing unsafe food on the market and nine charges relating to practices and operation of the premises.

There was mouldy food, rotten meat covered in flies. The worktops, floors and fridges were dirty and there were cigarette ends in the outside kitchen and storage areas.
Hazardous levels of bacteria were found on some food samples and chopping boards.

Since then Mr Leong has carried out some work at the restaurant and the emergency prohibition order was lifted a month later.
An inspection last December showed that food safety standards were satisfactory.

Cllr Colin Rayner, lead member for the environment, said: "The prosecution is a warning to those restaurant owners who play fast and loose with hygiene regulations that the council will not hesitate to take action against them."



Main Page

setstats Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

If you have any comments, please  send your email to