President Quality, Food Safety, Health & Safety - Chicago, IL, 60606
Date: Mar 1, 2021
VP Quality, Food Safety, Health & Safety
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Department: Quality Control
Location: Chicago, IL
Pay Status: Salaried Exempt
At Glanbia Nutritionals Inc., our portfolio centers on
dairy and non-dairy nutritional ingredients. We co-innovate and deliver
ingredient solutions and precision premixes for use in the mainstream food
and beverage, infant and clinical, and functional nutrition markets. We are
the number one provider of whey-based nutritional ingredients globally and
the number one producer of American-style cheddar cheese. Our protein systems
have transformed the bar and beverage categories — bringing increased levels
of protein, cleaner labels and greater product functionality to market. We
have a direct presence in 21 countries, with manufacturing facilities in the US,
Germany and China, and international sales and technical offices around the
As an integral role within Glanbia Nutritionals, the VP of
Quality, Food Safety, Health & Safety will ensure that the function’s
mission and operations are fully aligned with Glanbia’s vision of Quality,
Food Safety and Health & Safety Excellence, meeting or exceeding
customer, regulatory, and Group standards. This visionary leader will forge a
strategy defining compliance expectations, an implementation roadmap, the
verification approach, and tracking KPIs for GN’s Quality and Safety Culture.
This role will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Quality and
Health & Safety leaders and the overall function. This will include
implementation thorough safety and quality improvement programs. The scope
will include GN’s Business Partners (e.g. supplier, co-manufacturing,
logistics), as well as internal functions (product strategic Management,
R&D, Procurement, operations, commercial) ensuring Glanbia remains a
trusted partner of choice for customers and a recognized credible voice to
Essential Functions and Responsibilities (not restrictive)
- Provide oversight of Nutritional product
quality, sensory, and functional properties
- Provide oversight of the Health and
Safety programs for Glania Nutritionals
- Oversee the development, delivery and
implementation of audit corrective action plans to GN customers and
- Lead all quality and H&S audits and
responses, implementing any necessary modifications. Ensure
certifications are maintained for each site.
- Ensure customer and/or government
requirements and regulations are implemented throughout manufacturing
- Collaborate with R&D on the
development and testing of new Nutritional products.
- Direct the health and safety projects for
GN manufacturing plants and provide support to those teams
- Provide expertise in product and consumer
requirements with other members of management and with production
operators, technicians, and engineers.
- Establish raw material standards by
studying manufacturing and engineering requirements. Approve, confer and
negotiate with suppliers. Devise testing methods and procedures.
- Leverage GPS policies and processes in
the business unit to get to root cause on systemic Quality and Safety
problems. Drive the utilization of the quality and safety systems and
- Provide oversight and assistance to sites
on issues such as safety incidents or regulatory violations. Oversee
investigation and mitigation of the issues, as well as any negotiations
and correspondence with Regulatory Agencies
- Oversee the development and maintenance
of operating policies and procedures for Quality and H&S
- Direct programs for support of existing
products, examining competitor products and characterizing components in
newly developed products.
- Collaborate with business development
groups in identifying new opportunities including potential acquisitions
- Collaborate with the GN Product Strategy
Management platforms ensuring that products meet customer expectations.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain to ensure
that co-manufacturing outcomes meet GN expectations.
- Promote safety and uphold the culture of
- Oversee and guide the Quality leadership
teams in identifying and resolving sanitation issues through recognized problem solving techniques.
- Work with VPs of Dairy and Specialty
Operations to identify process related problems, with emphasis on
providing solutions and improvments: new
processes and technologies.
- Develop the QA and H&S leadership
teams to identify high risk practices in the work place and take action to prevent them.
- Establish in-process product inspection
standards by studying manufacturing methods and devising testing methods
- Establish standards for the disposition
of finished product by devising evaluation tests, methods, and
- Establish product quality documentation
system by writing and updating quality assurance procedures.
- Oversee the development and
implementation of improvement metrics and KPIs.
- Maintain product quality by enforcing
quality assurance policies and procedures and government requirements;
collaborating with other members of management to develop new product and
engineering designs and manufacturing and training methods.
- Prepare product and process quality
reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and
- Report to management on Safety, trends
and losses for the manufacturing sites
- Achieve financial objectives by preparing
the quality assurance and H&S budgets; scheduling expenditures;
analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Ensure GN alignment with Group Quality
and Health and Safety goals and objectives through representation on the
Group Corporate Risk Leadership Team
- Provide leadership on crisis management
and lead efforts to mitigate and resolve issues that arise on Quality
- Support on-going integration and
performance of web-based Quality and Health and Safety Data Management
Systems: Intelex, LIMS and Alchemy across all GN sites
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in
all aspects of Quality and Health & Safety
- Attend seminars and shows for vendor
meetings and information gathering.
- Assist with the purchase agreements
related to outsourced, co-packer, and contracted services.
- Provide customer support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities (If relevant)
- Reports to the GN Chief Operating Officer
- Responsible for leading the QA and
- Key member on the COO Executive
- Other key relationships with Corporate
Quality and H&S, as a member of the Corporate Risk Leadership Team.
Qualification & Experience Requirements
- Master’s Degree equivalent
- Ideal candidate will have 15-20 years
related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Strong nutrition/food experience in
highly complex and global environment
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Ability to work in a cross functional
- Experience working across multiple
geographies and manufacturing platforms
- Experience in working across multiple
quality/HS programs and regulatory environments
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Planning –
Has proven ability to establish clear directions and mobilizes resources
(people, funding, technology, materials, support) to get things done in
an effective and efficient manner
- Driving Results - Action oriented and steadfastly pushes self and others
for results. Is very bottom line oriented and can be counted on to
consistently exceed goals
- Influencing Others – Can employ a wide range of influencing styles to engage
others in problem-solving and decision-making
- Strategic Mindset – Has the ability to see ahead clearly; anticipates future
consequences and trends. Conceives a range of scenarios and creates competitive,
- Food Processing - Provides competent knowledge in food safety, and quality
practices. Is compliant and audit-ready. Maintain the highest standards
of Quality and Safety within Glanbia.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to
communicate interact with all levels of the organization, including
senior management, customers, consumers, and regulatory officials.
Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers,
regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Engagement & Collaboration-Able to lead the process of cross functional internal and
external customers, ensure that goals, processes and methods within GN
are communicated. Advance technical and regulatory knowledge,
incorporate best practices, and advance the interests of the company.
Adaptable, pragmatic, independent and credible with a strong bias
- Continuous Improvement-Utilize quality and safety data such as consumer feedback,
finished product data, recordable injuries, and process data to guide
the organization in making necessary product and process improvements.
Recommend policies, processes and metric creations which will optimize
performance within areas of safety and quality assurance.
Language, Computer & Numeracy:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret
common scientific and technical journals, regulatory reports, and legal
- Proficient personal computer skills
including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity,
word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft packages.
- Ability to apply concepts such as
fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Domestic USA and international travel
required (up to 50%) by land/or air.
Typical Physical Activity
- Due to the nature of this position the
physical demands change significantly from day to day.
- Regularly involves talking or listening,
sitting, and the use of hands and fingers
- Regularly involves going up and down
- Frequently involves reaching with hands
and arms, standing and walking
- Occasionally involves crouching,
stooping, kneeling and/or climbing or balancing
- Must be able to lift and carry items
weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to
reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of
objects and materials.
- Involves moderate physical activity
performing non-strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative
Typical Environmental Conditions
- May be exposed to loud noise levels (i.e.
- May work in areas with improper
illumination, wet or humid conditions (non-weather), near moving
mechanical parts, be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or
caustic chemicals, extreme heat (non-weather), risk of electrical shock
and above ground with a risk of falling.
Must perform the essential duties and responsibilities
with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without
causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements
describe the general nature and level of work by employees assigned to this
classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
Are you someone who likes to make it happen, make it
better and make it fun? If so, our company offers
you an excellent opportunity to do really interesting work and develop a
career in a dynamic and innovative environment that is all about making you
and our business successful.