Safety Scientist- Burr Ridge, IL 60527
Mars Ice Cream is looking for a Food Safety Scientist!
The Scientist Food Safety provides deep technical leadership to
develop, maintain and proactively improve Mars Wrigley Quality and Food
Safety programs. Under the supervision of the Site Q&FS Manager, this
role provides technical expertise, consultancy and a practical food safety
approach to the site manufacturing operations. This role makes complex
risk-based food safety decisions that enable the reliable delivery of
products that meet all external legislative requirements and all internal
What we are looking for:
- BS degree in Food Science, Food Safety,
Engineering, Chemistry or related technical field
- 2+ years of work experience in a quality
manufacturing environment within CPG
- In depth knowledge of microbiology,
safety, manufacturing processes and GMP
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities in
- 3+ years of experience in a manufacturing
site managing quality and food safety management systems responsible
position related to food safety or Quality and food safety management
- Previous food (dairy/frozen) experience
- Experience with regulatory and 3rd party
- Experience with practical applied
microbiology in factory environments
- Capable leader of teams and individuals
with ability to motivate and engage superiors, peers, indirect
associates, and global Q&FS community
- Advanced understanding of Good
Manufacturing Practices (GMP's), Good Laboratory Practices (GLP's),
Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Systems (HACCP)
- Knowledge of and experience with ISO 9001
Quality Management Systems and ISO 17025 general requirements for the
competence of testing and calibration laboratories
- Leads the effective development and
implementation of standards, processes, new technology/methods and
drives continuous improvement of food safety management at the
- Acts as a technical resource for
interpretation and ongoing application of food safety standards and
regulations, as they relate to manufacturing operations, including but
not limited to the Global Microbiological Verification, Allergen
Management, Foreign Material Management, Mold and Mycotoxin, HACCP and
Food Fraud Standards
- Acts as Food Safety Coordinator,
providing governance to HACCP Food Safety plans and managing validations
of CCP and OPRP preventive controls.
- Leads the Root Cause Analysis
investigation of food safety incidents and drives effective
implementation of corrective and preventative actions.
- Interprets sensitive and technical data
for potential impact on product safety and provides timely
recommendations for the effective resolution of food safety issues.
- Leads the development and deployment of
Food Safety training across the manufacturing site
- Provides technical guidance and consultancy
to the Food Safety Team to assure that manufacturing processes and
environments are microbiologically safe for producing both new and
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and
take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of
every decision we make.
- The opportunity to work cross
functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to