Food Safety - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
McCain Foods USA, Inc.
Full Job Description
Title: Manager, Food Safety
Type: Regular - Full-Time
Location: Oakbrook Terrace
Grade: Grade 06
Manager, Food Safety
This position will lead McCain North America's food safety validation
programs and provide leadership and technical expertise to design experiments
and validations to support the effectiveness of RTE processes through plant
implementation and NRTE cook instruction development by use of a consistent
and measurable best practices approach, compliant to country specific
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Note: Other
responsibilities may be assigned as needed to meet overall McCain food safety
goals and objectives.
- Own, lead, and support McCain Foods as
the subject matter expert on RTE manufacturing food safety and NRTE cook
- Develop microbiology-related studies for
understanding and management of product and process risks relating to
Critical Control Point (CCP) validation experiments.
- Provide and apply technical knowledge
(data, literature, etc.) and leadership to assure that the manufacturing
processes and environments are microbiologically safe for the production
of food products.
- Design of microbiological challenge and
validation studies for food products (i.e. shelf life, NRTE cook
- Evaluate and provide guidance on proper
design of food plants to world-class RTE standards.
- Active food safety leadership in new
product development initiatives
- Conduct and document data
based risk assessments using technical, scientific, regulatory,
and industry inputs. This include active review, interpretation, and
communication of recommendations for food safety assessments or
- Interpret sensitive food safety related
technical information and provide objective science
- Provide scientific expertise and
technical leadership to support compliance and drive continuous
- Effectively communicate and liaise with
plant quality and plant managers to problem solve, trouble shoot, and
resolve food safety issues. This includes education and technical
information sharing to continually increase overall knowledge of plant
- Identify, develop, train, and support
execution of food safety programs, controls, processes, and McCain
policies and procedures in alignment with industry best practices and
- Maintain abreast of current and evolving
food safety considerations and best practices.
- Lead general technical food safety
projects for NRTE plants on an as needed.
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in the
food industry with a minimum of 3 years in Ready-to-Eat operations and
validating cook instructions.
- Functional food safety expert in RTE
- In-depth knowledge of food safety, food
microbiology, manufacturing processes, food regulations, sanitary design
and quality management.
- Ability to develop and execute
statistical design of experiments to validate food safety programs.
- Experience or proven ability to apply
science based technical knowledge to critical food safety programs (e.g.
RTE CCP and preventative control validations, NRTE cook validations
- Experience in the management of
Environmental Monitoring Programs (data analysis, trending, reporting,
root cause analysis, etc.)
- Proficient in problem solving techniques
- Project management experience. This
includes planning, scheduling and coordinating teams and activities to
- Ability to work and interact effectively
with all levels in the organization including Plant employees, Peers,
and Senior Leaders
- Ability to effectively interact with
industry partners/councils, consultants, and regulatory agencies as an
agent of the company.
PERSONAL & LEADERSHIP ATTRIBUTES:
- Ability to communicate a vision that is
clear, and inspiring.
- Understands how to use various methods
and tools to engage all levels of the organization to ensure commitment
to change. This included technical to non-technical communications that
are meaningful and impactful.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate work
in a team environment and to build and maintain relationships across the
- Strong communication, influencing and
conflict management skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural
environment with respect and sensitivity for diversity
- BS Degree in Microbiology, Food Science
or related field.
- Masterís degree (or PhD) in a related
field is nice to have.
McCain Foods is an equal opportunity employer. We see value in ensuring we
have a diverse, antiracist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable workplace.
As a global family-owned company we are proud to reflect the diverse
communities around the world in which we live and work. We recognize that
diversity drives our creativity, resilience, and success and makes our
McCain is an accessible employer. If you require an accommodation
throughout the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials
or accessible meeting rooms), please let us know and we will work with you to
meet your needs.
Your privacy is important to us. By submitting personal data or
information to us, you agree this will be handled in accordance with
Job Family: Quality & Food Safety
Division: Greater North America
Department: Regulatory and Export
Location(s): Oakbrook Terrace || CA - Canada :
Ontario : Toronto || US - United States of America : Illinois : Oakbrook
Company: McCain Foods USA, Inc.