The comprehensive food
safety information website
Assistant Professor, Human Nutrition & Food Science (Culinology) Pomona, CA
College of Agriculture
Human Nutrition and Food Science Department at
Teaching: The new faculty member will be expected to teach undergraduate level courses with an emphasis in introductory food courses, food service courses for Dietetics majors, Culture and Meal Patterns, Food Product Development, Sensory Evaluation of Food and other courses that support the Food and Nutrition BS degree program and the Food Science and Technology BS degree program. The new faculty member will be expected to participate in undergraduate student advising and also supervise undergraduate and graduate research projects. While the workload is based mostly on teaching, research/scholarship is also expected with the opportunity to increase emphasis on this area and reduce teaching load through external funding support.
Research/Scholarship: The new faculty member will be expected to conduct research/scholarly activities commensurate with area of expertise and to pursue external funding and seek collaborations with faculty members in nutrition/dietetics, food science and technology and other related fields. Research/scholarly activities should focus on food product development and/or sensory evaluation.
Service: The new faculty member will demonstrate a commitment to the university and will be expected to participate in departmental service including curriculum and program assessment and development, as well as department, college and university service through committee work.
Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
· Doctor of Philosophy or equivalent degree in nutrition and/or food science or closely related fields of study from an accredited university completed by September 15, 2015, is required
· Commitment to teaching and mentoring a diverse student population
· University teaching experience
· Grant writing, research experience, publications
· Professional work experience
· Certified Research Chef and/or Certified Culinary Scientist and/or Registered Dietitian/Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
· Active participant in one or more of the following professional organizations: Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Research Chefs Association (RCA) and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
A completed application will consist of:
· A cover letter that addresses the following: 1) the candidate’s teaching philosophy, 2) the candidate’s research/scholarly interests, and 3) the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
· A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form;
· Three recent letters of recommendation addressing the candidate’s strengths relevant to this position. These letters must be sent directly to the Chair of the Search Committee by the persons writing the letters (hard copies or electronic files will be accepted) not by the applicant;
· Name, titles and affiliation, email address, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position (these include the 3 persons who write the letters of reference);
· A transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists);
· Completed Application for Academic Employment available at: http://academic.csupomona.edu/faculty/docs/application.pdf
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than Monday, January 5, 2015. Early response is encouraged.
Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and application materials to:
Food Science/Culinology/Nutrition Faculty Search
Human Nutrition and Food Science Department
Cal Poly Pomona University
3801 W Temple Ave
Pomona, CA 91768
Telephone: (909) 869-2226
FAX: 909) 869-5078
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our ethnically diverse student population of approximately 22,000 enrolls in 52 baccalaureate, 26 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit students increasingly from throughout California and beyond. The students are success and career focused and extremely diverse. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W. K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in one of the most dynamic economic and cultural, regions in the country, and within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the College
The College of Agriculture was founded in 1938 and is the second largest by enrollment of five agricultural colleges in California. It is the sole provider of comprehensive agricultural programs focusing on the needs of the $1 trillion southern California economy and its 21 million people. The College provides a unique integrative approach to agricultural education that recognizes the strong disciplinary interdependencies related to professional orientation and culture, basic societal needs, lifestyles, and social and environmental responsibility. The College is well positioned to meet the expanding demand for qualified graduates in highly specialized fields within the agricultural, food, fiber, and animal industries. With an enrollment of 1,542, which has grown over the last decade, the College has evolved in step with changing urban agricultural education needs. The Agriculture faculty recognizes the need for change and has continued to develop a vision for its future.
College distinctions include:
· One of four California State Universities sharing dedicated state funds for the Agricultural
· Largest four-year degree-granting College of Agriculture Hispanic Serving Institute in the U.S.
· Second largest accredited animal health science program in North America
· One of the largest animal and veterinary science undergraduate programs in the U.S.
· The only department-based apparel program in California and one of only 13 nationwide
to be endorsed by The American Apparel & Footwear Association
· $8 million state-of the-art urban agriculture facility, AGRIscapes
· Home of the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center
For further information visit the College website at: http://www.csupomona.edu/~agri/
About the Department
Human Nutrition and Food Science offers two Bachelor of Science degree programs, one with a major in Foods and Nutrition (with options in Dietetics, ACEND accredited, or Nutrition Science) and the other in Food Science and Technology (with four emphases). We prepare students for challenging and rewarding careers in dietetics, nutrition education, community nutrition, public health, nutrition research, food service management, food science and technology and Culinology. The department is also unique in that it offers classes that mirror traditional dietetic classes taught in Spanish for those dietetic students that wish to work with and in the Latino community. The USDA funded project is called Estudiante de Dietética. The Department also offers a Master’s in Agriculture with an option in Nutrition & Food Science. The curriculum, facilities and faculty reflect the department’s commitment to a strong, science-based undergraduate program that provides skills and knowledge needed by graduates to meet professional goals. Under the Nutrition Science Option, we offer three Emphases: Nutrition and Health, Pre-Professional Nutrition, and Animal Nutrition. The Department also offers an ACEND accredited Dietetic Internship for graduates of Cal Poly Pomona and other universities. Examples of research/scholarly work conducted include choline requirements/status, omega-3 lipids/status, fish oil and acne, avocado’s effects on blood lipids, phytochemical serum status, community programs assessment and interventions, and functional foods.
Department distinctions include:
· Accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics
· Accredited Dietetic Internship Program
· One of the largest producers of Registered Dietitians in California
· USDA funded project Estudiante de Dietética (only one other program like this in the country)
· One of three and the fastest growing food science undergraduate program in California
· One of eleven nationally approved Culinology programs in North America
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.csupomona.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com