Food Technologist – San Leandro, CA
Department: Research & Development and Quality Assurance
Location: San Leandro, CA
Reporting Relationship: VP of Research & Development and Quality Assurance
Direct Reports: n/a
FLSA Status: Full-time/Exempt
The Food Technologist primary responsibility is providing regulatory information (NLEA) and guidance on interpreting and meeting FDA rules and regulations regarding the labeling of food products. Additionally, this person manages the company’s Kosher program, drafts/updates specifications (raw material, WIP, formulas, final product, etc), completes customer questionnaires dealing with regulatory questions, conducts sensory testing, and on occasion, develops new products and/or alternate vendor qualification work. This person may also work on special projects to support the QA/R&D team.
This work environment is very much focused on cross functional collaboration with Marketing, Purchasing, QA, R&D, Operations, and Sales.
Key Job Responsibilities
Regulatory Compliance (50%)
· Develop nutritional information through Genesis as required by Marketing and Sales.
· Review, edit and insure that all GCC packaged products comply with all FDA regulations dealing with labeling.
· Keep current on technical reading and industry trends/changes (i.e. changes to labeling requirements and CFR changes).
· Responsible for R&D artwork approval including internal routings and print proofs.
Quality Assurance (40%)
· Develop raw material, WIP, and final product documents, specifications, BOM’s and formulas.
· Conduct shelf life tests to determine the shelf life of new and/or existing products as well as various difference testing.
· Manage all aspects of the company’s Kosher program.
· Complete customer questionnaires and information requests for technical/regulatory information.
Product Development (10%)
· Conduct development on new products, reformulations, alternate suppliers, and new raw materials.
· Manage, coordinate, organize, and conduct sensory evaluation panels. Interpret data and issue reports including recommendations.
· Communicate directly with ingredient suppliers regarding technical information.
· Organize/assist in production trials
· Technical writing skills.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to multi-task in a fast passed environment
· Highly organized and very detail oriented.
· Organizational and multitasking skills.
· Working knowledge of statistics and sensory analysis techniques
· Team player
· Proficient with Microsoft Office programs
Education and Experience
· BS Degree in Food Science or closely related Major. 3-5 years of related experience including knowledge of sensory testing, Code Federal Regulations (CFRs), and regulatory compliance for consumer food packaged goods.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org