Job Description and Primary Responsibilities
The Food Safety Specialist will be responsible for implementation and
continuous improvement of food safety focused programs including but not
limited to prerequisites and HACCP.
The position reports directly to the Quality and Technical Manager.
• Manage and lead the site food safety team
• Monitor and improve food safety systems and standards at the site to meet
or exceed customer and regulatory requirements including, but not limited
to HACCP and prerequisites.
• Support standardization of food safety fundamentals for common systems in
conjunction with peers across the Sweet plants.
• Support maintenance of standards and processing parameters to reduce
risk. Promote and support engagement of plant operations, quality and
management teams as needed
• Maintain up to date HACCP flow diagrams, hazard analysis and related
monitoring, verification and validation documentation.
• Manage internal food safety related deviation and incident analysis to
promote a proactive approach to food safety
• Support the customer complaint team in food safety complaint root cause
• Promote continuous improvement by using statistical process control, root
cause analysis and preventive action planning within the food safety
• SQF practitioner; provide direction to the site to meet SQF requirements
and institutionalize them.
• Participation and /or facilitation as identified in customer, regulatory
and 3rd party audits
• Lead internal audit program and ensure that documentation and policies
are being maintained and improved as needed.
• Manage and lead development and implementation of new food safety
initiatives. Collaborate with peers across the BU as needed.
• The position has the authority to observe, review, lead and take
initiative/action for food safety activities in site, supplier, and
customer activities, with proper notification to senior management of each.
• The position has the authority to develop, implement and audit programs
directly related to quality, food safety, and assigned projects.
• The position has the authority to manage the food safety monitoring and
verification activities performed by personnel in alternate functional
areas in conjunction with the respective managers
• Qualified background in food science, chemistry, biology, microbiology,
sensory, food packaging systems and/or food engineering
• 3-7 years practical experience in Food Safety or Management of Quality or
Production, or Project Management in the food industry.
• Ability to drive continuous improvement
• Ability to affect change through indirect leadership
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Proficient at Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Must have strong critical thinking ability along with analytical and
problem solving skills
• Strong interpersonal, communication, coaching and conflict management
• Ability to travel infrequently
Practical experience requirements
• Food safety systems including but not limited to HACCP, GMPs and other
• Writing and implementing policies and procedures
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free
workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.